Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My name is Frank I recently received an 2009 Prowler 650 XT from my elderly Father It had been sitting in his garage for about three years it took a bit to get it fired up looks like it has 135 miles on it and looks to be in decent shape. I am having some choke issues I think it is hard to start after it runs for 5min it starts fine when it is warm. I have not had time to take it out and run it I am kind of scared I start it every sat to keep the fuel moving though the carb and run it for about 10 min or so but the fan never come on and I do not want to overheat. how do I know if the fan works and any help with choke would be great.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome friend! Good place to be! Depending on the temperature, it may take longer than 10 minutes to get the fan to run. Get a free service manual at K&T Lawn Equipment. The Prowler has several sensors on it to indicate problems. A overheat problem would show up quickly. Check the coolant level, make sure the radiator is clean to allow air flow, and see if the fan will rotate freely. With only 135 miles on it, I wouldn't worry too much about anything! Many members have the 650 machines, and have several tricks to try on starting them.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Howdy Frank welcome to the house

RD is the welcome committee member and all around top hand on engines , site is full of good wrenches and sound advice so don't be a stranger.

also read the bottom of my signature lines for free "advice" to new members :) ... be sure to fill in your info also.

got a bunch of friends in your area and down in Arlington also , also some great Canuck friends just north of ya. all through the Diesel world of peecups

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Welcome Frank! It takes a while for the cooling fan to come on. Depends on the outside temp and how hard your running it. If it overheats, the warning light in the cluster will come on. To test it in the garage, pull the engine cover, run it in neutral (or jack up the back end and run it in 2wd, they warm up faster with a load), run it at a fast idle and feel the coolant hoses and tubes as they warm up. After the T stat opens, you'll feel both the hoses get HOT. Then the fan should kick on. If it doesn't, check the fuse, connections ect. Could be the temp switch. But it takes a good 20 minutes-1/2 hour for mine to come on, sometimes. As far as the hard start, when they sit for a awhile, they drain the gas back to the tank. It takes a lot to get the fuel back to the carbs bowl with the mechanical pump. Turn the key, push the pedal to the floor once to set the electric choke. I have to actually pump the pedal a few times to get mine going, sometimes. I am thinking about adding a cheap electric pump to the fuel line, by the tank to prime the system for cold starts. There is also vent hose running from the carb to behind the seats, back by the baffles, I and a lot of other carb model owners have unhooked and plugged that hose. It helps them start better on hot restarts.
Good luck with her!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Great advice to try! We as a group harass each other frequently, but every once in awhile we have sound ideas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts