Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Prowler owners and UTV friends. I just purchased an '07 650XT. Don't let the year fool you it looks like it just came out of the showroom. The previous owner kept very good care of it. (21 hrs./331 miles)
Anyway, he did mention that the low beam lights didn't work. After checking the fuse I found it to be blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew immidiately. My first thought that there must be a wire shorting out somewhere.
Any other suggestions? Maybe my switch is bad? Anyone else run into something like this or heard of this happenning?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome from Dragonfire Racing... I would check and see if there is a balast that is blown. If you have a meter make sure you are getting constant power in and out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Dragonfire Racing... I would check and see if there is a balast that is blown. If you have a meter make sure you are getting constant power in and out.
Not being to familair with electrical terminology, but is the ballast in the relay for the lighting system?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the site. You will enjoy your new ride. I too have an 07 650 xt and love it. Have you checked to make sure your grounds are good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the site. You will enjoy your new ride. I too have an 07 650 xt and love it. Have you checked to make sure your grounds are good?
I'll check them, but wouldn't the high-beam grounded to the same as the low-beam. My high-beam works but my low-beam is the one giving me the problem of the blown fuse. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll check them, but wouldn't the high-beam grounded to the same as the low-beam. My high-beam works but my low-beam is the one giving me the problem of the blown fuse. Thanks for you input.
wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a shorted out bulb........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found out what was causing the fuse to blow...it was the tail/brake lights that were installed by the previous owner. Only one light is causing the problem. The funny thing is that one light has thicker guage wiring than the other. There are three wires leading from the lights and are surface mount LED lights with a concave back that mount to the cage. On both lights only two of the 3 wires is connected. Am I safe to assume that the wire that is not connected for the tail light function. This work was done by TMW Offroad in Mesa, Az. I say that because they have a plate mounted on the cage.
Anyway any help will be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts