Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

New Prowler 1000 owner

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MichelleButler98yKl 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Another newbie here, Just wanted to check in with everyone,
Got into a 09 Prowler 1000,
It came from Cali and was set with full cage and bench seat in back with long travel A-arms, I don’t know what else has been done. But what I have found was a few things that tell me the people who put it together may not have been paying attention, calipers mounts upside down so they couldn’t get the air out of them.
and the rear differential mount was cracked and twisted... so after fixing minors things I’m using it as a property maintenance machine, I’ve made tool racks for our weed whackers and shovel ext. so once I work all the bugs out I’ll take out on trips.

So I have two questions.
1-The rear Differential is locked or welded? I’ve changed the seals on the diff and it still wheeps, not sure if bearing or something is warn, where can I find rebuild parts or a complete diff, do the new and old ones interchange if I wanted to update to the electric locking differential... I think I saw that?
2 what is the over drive switch do, next to the shifter and E-brake, doesn’t seam to do anything when driving?
Anyway good to meet you all, I’m in the NW Washington with 30acer of playground if anyone wants to come camp.
Happy 4th of July
Shaums
Land vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
The rear is a spool type rear so it is locked full time, the Overdrive switch you speak of is a speed limiter (rev limiter) over ride for when you are backing up in reverse in 4wd.

#3 ·
Thanks @dieselracer, that makes sense I don’t know if I would have figured out that switch, but I know it will help since I back up out of our drive way a few hundred feet each time I get in, this is so I don’t stir up the gravel in our drive way from turning.
I guess I am looking for a turf mode for the rear diff?
Does anyone make after market dif upgrades for these?

#4 ·
Very cool looking prowler. Almost always going to find some issues on heavily modified UTV's. Regarding the rear, no aftermarket support. Just not enough of them and not enough of demand. AC did put a "turf savor" in the XTX model for a few years and it was common for people to weld them at the first sign of problems. Others had good luck with proper maintenance and correct fluid.

The rear diff on a prowler 1000 is a bit of an odd ball. The way the engine is mounted vs other models is why. Plus it's mounted upside down compared to other models. Anything is possible if you want a "lockable" diff if your willing to spend the time and money.

Arctic cat "diffs" are all very similar so you can mix match parts, gears etc from many different years and models. Example a guy on youtube put a front diff with a cable locker on the rear of his 700 EFI. That model is the easiest. You have to consider the gear ratio, direction of rotation, axle size and spline count, mounting tab location.... Also will the differential hold up to 1000cc power when in the rear? I decided to sell my prowler so I never went beyond the research stage of swaping in a different axle.

#5 ·
Thanks @Firecat, Your right I have found a few problems with the cat here. and I can't find any parts for these... I think I have just fried the transmission... Taking the clutch apart now but when I drained the oil and the plug magnet had some metal shards more than I am comfortable with.

#6 ·
Country Cat, or Babbitts can help with the parts, Country Cat offers free parts manuals, and service manuals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.