Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My name is Kirk, I am new to the forum and Prowlers but not UTVs. I have an Odes 800 that does ranch duty most of the day. I just picked up a 2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ on Friday. It's pretty custom, and pretty sick (fast). I would not be surprised if someone recognizes it on one of the forums as someone sunk big bucks into it.

It has:

Custom full cage with tabs for light bar, rear view mirror, lighted whip. Integrated spare tire carrier, cage extends to include integrated rear bumper.
skinned tube suicide doors
custom bed
some kind of long travel kit w/ Walker Evans 2" RR shocks (I would love to figure out what kit it is.) The a arms are fully boxed, not boxed tube or tube, but made out of plate then welded.
Looney Tuned Dual Full exhaust system, wrapped the whole length.
Muzzy Digi Tune.
clutch work
PRP Seats w/ Crow 4 point 3" harnesses
Autometer coolant temp gauge
Stock tires and wheels w/ BFG AT 195/75r14
Odyssey PC925 in stock location

I would love to be able to figure out the mods that are already on the Prowler, so I understand where I want to mod next.

Plans:

Second Odessey 925 Battery
TrueAm UTV Dual battery management
Noco Genius Gen 2 mini onboard waterproof dual battery charger
On Board Air (ARB air compressor that I took out of my Land Cruiser when I upgraded to dual constant duty Viair compressors.)
LED lighting upgrades
SuperWinch 3500# winch
Wiring Cleanup

Thanks,
Kirk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have one of a kind, someone should recognize it. Dynatek is one of the popular replacement boxes for Prowlers, got one on my old Prowler but it's not programmable like the ECU on the FI models.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house !

there is a thread on here about adding an automotive alternator on an XTZ , might want to look at that thread also

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Welcome, Kirk. Nice looking and unique, XTZ!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike, Gary and Terry!

Yeah I'm very happy with the purchase, I got a great deal on a well equipped Prowler. I have a lot of learning to do about the Prowlers. A few quick mods and some time base lining everything is what I plan to do now.

I have nice LED's for the A pillars to install. Ordering a PC925L battery to get started on the electrical baseline work.

I inquired about the RD alternator kits availability already. Thanks!

Here is a pic of the interior and suicide doors.

Kirk

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
PRP Seats, and a well thought out cage! this should make for an interesting ride!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PRP Seats, and a well thought out cage! this should make for an interesting ride!

Agreed! Thanks. The stickers on the doors say Bad Ass Unlimited SXS, they are still in business here in SoCal, I have a feeling that they did all this work, I checked their website and they offer similar stuff for the WildCat and other newer models. The quality of the work is very high, I'm thinking that this was not a one off design. I plan on dragging it down to them to find out when I am not so busy with work.

Thanks,
Kirk

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Looks like you have all the makings of a killer machine!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Yo Kirk .. fill in you signature line and location ... we'll remember what ya have better later and won't ask questions before we answer a question ... and location so we have a clue as to ride area as we are all over the country here , and many / some of us are or have been vagabonds and know some good ride places to lay on ya. hope the same from you as time goes on :)

you said on other post , you could help in layout /design ... what's your brief background .. INQUIRING MINDS need to know 'cause we're nosey :) .. RD and several others have some build skills also .. heck who knows what can be thought up LOL

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I started troubleshooting the light bar tonight. The bar works fine, just needs some wiring cleanup and a few new rocker switches.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Gary,

I have a neighbor who is a master metal worker. He has his own shop and can fab ANYTHING. Usually I come up with the ideas and he fabs up the solutions. In the case of the alternator kit, I can help measure test fit etc and rely on him for any custom fab needed.

Example of he can fab anything, he put a GM 2 stroke diesel bus engine in a 1947 Ford truck as in work truck not pickup. He mated it to an Allison transmission and stuck a couple of turbo chargers on it for fun. He is putting a 4.3 Chevy motor into a VW sand rail chassis with an Audi transmission. He makes all his own adapters..he has a drivable motorized BarStool. And an air bagged red wagon with a golf cart drivetrain.

He is a good friend and always happy to help with fab projects and designing solutions.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
He sounds like our kind of people!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
your a lucky man to have that neighbor !! ... you need to get him a Prowler so he can continue his play time some LOL OH WAIT you did , yours :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
WOW, that is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RD, Yes he is your kind of people and a great guy! The best part is he works for Beer + material costs unless he already has the materials and then it's just beer. lol.

Gary, yes, I am very lucky!

I am an IT guy and do all of the IT for his new business and I am presently setting him up with in-home movie streaming. (He sold his last 120+ employee business to Lincoln Electric.... yes the welder company)

He is going to help me expand the electric in my shop. I have a 75x50 shop with 200 amp service but only 8-10 outlets on 3 breakers. We are going to put a sub panel in the opposite corner from the existing panel and run more dedicated outlets and hookup a tankless hot water heater for a big utility sink. I just need to provide beer and parts. lol

He is coming up to checkout the Prowler this weekend and hopefully help me figure out the materials needed for the electrical work in the shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a couple pics of the other toys in my stable. Selling the Subaru in the next few weeks as I now work 100% from home. No need to commute anymore so the Subaru goes and in came the Prowler!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Prowler!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Prowler!

Thanks! After cleaning up things like wiring and baselining fluids etc. I will be going after the dual battery setup, onboard waterproof charging and a winch or winches. (spoiled by the 2 winches on my Dominator)

So much has been done to it already that I will only be augmenting the existing build, most of what is there is good to go. The deeper I dig and the more I learn, the happier I am with the deal I got.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts