Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 prowler 1000 htz. It is a very nice unit with only 600 miles and like 50 hours on it and is totally bone stock. I have 120 acres that I work and play on, so thought this would be a good toy. I like it except for the fact that it is noisy/loud, and seems to rattle bolts and screws loose, the gas pedal is real touchy/jerky, it is hard to steer with no power steering, and I can only get it to run about 60 to 65 MPH, and the reviews I read said they would run 75 MPH. Not that I really care to do that, but paying $9500 for something you want it to do what they say it will do. Any help, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have the same one. yes you need to go through and tighten all the bolts down, especially the ones on the roll cage. They will loosen and things will squek. Tighten them down and she'll quiet down. Also some (not me yet) have added sound deadening material to the botton of the engine cover which is said to realy quiet the cabin.

The herky jerky throttle is well documented. Nothing you can really do about it but once you get used to it you can easliy ride it even at low speed with jerking. Just takes some practice. If ur steering is that hard you can do what i did, which is air up the tires a lil more and use some lubricant on the sterring mech and buckle. it will make it easier to steer. You can always add power steering for about 1k.

The most i can get is 65 mph as well. Maybe your tires are too low in PSI. Check your air filters (both) make sure you are getting enough ari flow.

Where are you located BTW? Any pics of the Cat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the recommendations. I will definitely try these. I live in Missouri. I will try and get some pics posted.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
421 Posts
put some maxxis cero tires on it,put some good shocks on it,esp the rear,otherwise leave it stock. locktite every bolt you can get at and maintenance it well. look it over often and enjoy the awesum times with who ever it is that goes with ridin!

·
Registered
421 Posts
my 2010 xtz when it was new,after 1st oil change anyway, showroom stock would do 83 by speedo on pavement. cool and all but stupid fast for this veh,and maybe a tad irresponsible!

·
Registered
385 Posts
The day I got Mine home took it down asphalt and got 74 easy but I don't have enougth balls to go any faster. 2010XTZ

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Oh by the way Speedwerks sells a stiffer throttle spring that some said helps.

I was gonna get it myself but have adapted to how touchy it is.

And it is fun to watch my friends jump in it and look like a noob with a stick shift!

What is the max rpm do you get when you stab the throttle?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
that is way low on rpm.
You should be up over 7,000

Check air filter and spark plugs first
check wide open on your T.B. make sure it opens all the way.
Then you could look into your clutches and maybe a compression test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check these things out. Not that I am crazy about going 75 all of the time, it's just nice to know that you can if you want, and also that is is running up to its full optimization.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lock tight on roll cage put an end to it coming loose, speed sound right, my 650 tops out at 50mph before limiter goes off. welcome buddy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts