Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an aftermarket rear axle. Install went pretty easy. Took her for a good spin and the CV joints are hot, including the boots. Think this is normal? Bearings have to be "broken in"?

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That is normal, seems everything on a Prowler generates heat! LOL I bought a Infra-Red heat gun off Amazon for 10 bucks, I use it to check different areas of my Prowler. Heat shield around my second battery is 350 "F" on the outside, and 90 "F" on the inside. I used Dyna-Mat heat shield on the battery tray! Just some more worthless babble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The existing axle was fine. The CV joints were warm, but that's expected. The new one I couldn't keep my finger on it since it was so hot. The joints did have some resistance in them unlike the existing one that has a nice smooth articulation. I guess I'll just have to watch it and make sure it doesn't keep doing that.

On a side note, this was a new axle bought from an ebay that sells all kinds of these. It was noted to be "an exact OE replacement". It does not have the same release mechanism that the original one had. It's like all the others, it just has a c-clip on the spline and you just shove it in the axle until it gets past that clip and it seats. The other odd thing about the OE axle is that you cannot replace the bearings in either joint. I wonder if this was a change for 2011 and beyond.

Messaged the Ebayer who said he's never seen anything like this and has sold several of these. They both work fine, they're just different.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
heat guns are worth their weight in gold IMHO

found a bad tire when towing heavy before it blew , a couple years ago found a hot wheel bearing. when I tow I run the tires and bearing areas when I stop at rest stops. mine will be in good use for my upcoming trip

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Yes indeed! There are well worth the money if you do any towing! I checked tire, and hub temps throughout our trip! The gun I bought off amazon was listed elsewhere for 49.95! Needless to say I bought off Amazon!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always look at them when I'm at Harbor Freight. Just never pulled the trigger on buying one, yet.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I've been chasing High Oil Temp, and High CVT Temp for a couple of months! I used an Autometer Electric Oil Temp Gage to monitor Engine Oil Temp., and CVT Belt Temp. I ran one wire to the gage sender post, and using an On-Off-On SPDT Switch I figured I could switch between the two sensors. I had extremely high readings on oil, and CVT temp. , the oil temp I passed off as a sign of the blown head gasket, the CVT temp I passed off as the case getting that hot (I mounted the sensor direct in the case by drilling and tapping a hole for 1/8" NPT), This has really been a PIA, so I double checked all my connections! The New Switch I installed was defective! I'm forgetting basic stuff! Just because a Part is new don't mean that it is good! This Prowler is reawakening old lessons! LOL Put another switch in (after checking it!) and the gage is responding as it should! Just a reminder for all of us!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you not familiar with the inner CV joint on these, here are some pics. E'rbody likes pics, right?

These are different than any CV joint that I've seen. Most you just have to give a good yank and they pull out of the differential with just a C clip holding it in place. Here, there are two ball bearings on the inside of the C clip that keep pressure on that clip, and holds the axle in the differential. On the inside there's a "button" (for lack of better word) that you push on, and that pushes the bearings out of the way, releasing pressure off the C clip, and then you can easily pull it out of the differential. It's actually a clever set up.

Oh, the other thing that is different is that you cannot service the bearings in the inner CV joint. I believe on the others there is a large C clip that holds the bearings in place. You remove that, then you can get the bearings out, and get to the clip that holds the axle to the inner CV joint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
For those of you not familiar with the inner CV joint on these, here are some pics. E'rbody likes pics, right?

These are different than any CV joint that I've seen. Most you just have to give a good yank and they pull out of the differential with just a C clip holding it in place. Here, there are two ball bearings on the inside of the C clip that keep pressure on that clip, and holds the axle in the differential. On the inside there's a "button" (for lack of better word) that you push on, and that pushes the bearings out of the way, releasing pressure off the C clip, and then you can easily pull it out of the differential. It's actually a clever set up.

Oh, the other thing that is different is that you cannot service the bearings in the inner CV joint. I believe on the others there is a large C clip that holds the bearings in place. You remove that, then you can get the bearings out, and get to the clip that holds the axle to the inner CV joint.
Thanks for sharing,I would just keep a eye on your new axle..........

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I've been chasing High Oil Temp, and High CVT Temp for a couple of months! I used an Autometer Electric Oil Temp Gage to monitor Engine Oil Temp., and CVT Belt Temp. I ran one wire to the gage sender post, and using an On-Off-On SPDT Switch I figured I could switch between the two sensors. I had extremely high readings on oil, and CVT temp. , the oil temp I passed off as a sign of the blown head gasket, the CVT temp I passed off as the case getting that hot (I mounted the sensor direct in the case by drilling and tapping a hole for 1/8" NPT), This has really been a PIA, so I double checked all my connections! The New Switch I installed was defective! I'm forgetting basic stuff! Just because a Part is new don't mean that it is good! This Prowler is reawakening old lessons! LOL Put another switch in (after checking it!) and the gage is responding as it should! Just a reminder for all of us!
RD how hot does your belt get,I just went on a 10 mile ride and my gauge read 140 degrees thats without the blower.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
That is one of the things I plan on checking, I used the heat gun at the air out duct, and was looking at 160-180. The gage was reading 240!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. All 3 poles on the switch were connected when you turned the switch on, the gage was trying to read 2 sensors!

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
was it a high speed ride or low speed???

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts