Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 09 xtx 700 and it is a real machine, but I've noticed a burning rubber smell at around 40 mph. No slipping or shuddering. Under 40 there is no smell. I'm wondering the belt may be slipping just enough to produce a smell. Also is there any thing I should watch for in general as I ride..,. This is my first side by side. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this is the best site going! More than likely it is the belt slipping, how many miles on your Prowler? I have the same machine and I love it! Use quality oil, and make sure it is for a wet clutch, keep you air filter clean (dust will kill these engines quickly). You have a turf saver rear end which requires a friction modifier gear lube (I use Arctic Cat on mine), failure to run the friction modifier will shorten the rear differential life. There has been a lot of talk about the turf saver and related failures. I have over 6,000 miles on mine and it is still performing as new! I change the rear lube 2-3 times a year depending on the mileage. Not sure if this helped any or not, but pretty cheap insurance! Let us know where you are from!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that the drive train only has 200 some odd miles on it and the differential problems has been resolved under warranty with the recall. The belt and clutches we replaced when the other work was done. Could the belt just now be getting wore in correctly? From eastern Kentucky! Thanks guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Also it hasn't been ridden in close to 8 months until I got it a week ago. Bought it from a woman whose husband had passed. How can I tell if the belt is getting too hot. Should I be able to touch the belt drive case after a ride. Seems like the engine puts out quite a bit of heat although the seat is directly above the engine so it may just be me.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
welcome to the house .. lots of good info on your machine / several good wrenches on here have the same machine so don't be afraid to ask questions.

in post #2 you got some great info .. also there are known "issues" with the emergency brake .. make damn sure it is 100% off every time you start out . they will get one click or two all by their self as the cable routing is usually very tight and not release right. this issue can / will cause a fire and destroy your new rig.

this didn't answer your question but better to be aware of it.

the belts usually [at least my experience] don't smell unless they are installed wrong or smoked by using the wrong gear on steep grades or plowing or long time slow speed .. USE LOW RANGE and don't think high range is the end all gear.

suggest you check it out before a long back woods ride so you don't have a long walk home.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I had to replace the engine in my 650 and never smelled any rubber from the start. You say you smell it around 40 mph, what's the fastest you've driven it? Just a thought but if the clutch plates are glazed at higher speeds and rpms it could slip. Have you tried putting it into low side and see if you smell the rubber about the same rpms? Some on here have also mentioned a seal leaking and letting oil into the clutch area.

Just thinking aloud, anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I had to replace the engine in my 650 and never smelled any rubber from the start. You say you smell it around 40 mph, what's the fastest you've driven it? Just a thought but if the clutch plates are glazed at higher speeds and rpms it could slip. Have you tried putting it into low side and see if you smell the rubber about the same rpms? Some on here have also mentioned a seal leaking and letting oil into the clutch area.

Just thinking aloud, anyone else have any thoughts?
Mike it could have a little oil leaking on the belt.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Just bought an 09 xtx 700 and it is a real machine, but I've noticed a burning rubber smell at around 40 mph. No slipping or shuddering. Under 40 there is no smell. I'm wondering the belt may be slipping just enough to produce a smell. Also is there any thing I should watch for in general as I ride..,. This is my first side by side. Thanks in advance.
CrazyHorse there is a bolt on the bottom of your belt case ,take that bolt out and see if there is any sign's of oil around the bolt hole....the bolt is under the belt cover.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
welcome to the best prowler site...........keep in touch and let us know what you find out.........and also you will feel heat off theses motors........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys. The park brake light is off so I would say that it isn't engaged. I will take the drain plug off and then will run the rpm up in low gear today to see what I can find out. Will update you all this evening.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Also, you can view the belt if you take the duct work off of the driver side front air duct, it is directly over the secondary clutch and gives you a good view of the belt. I clean my pulleys with brake clean, and a fine scotch brite pad. On the driver's side behind the seat there is the air out duct for the clutch (it is visible with the bed up), I usually check this duct for any rubber, or traces of oil rubber mixed. This is a quick check that I do after each run.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. The park brake light is off so I would say that it isn't engaged. I will take the drain plug off and then will run the rpm up in low gear today to see what I can find out. Will update you all this evening.
part 2 of the fyi's ... don't depend on the brake light showing , mine will not show on first click of brake handle but the brake is already dragging at that click point.. just say'n

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would say a oil leak also. or clutch was put back on wrong.

welcome to forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Guys, I took the bolt out of the case and there was hardly any oil on the bolt. Took both air ducts of the belt case but couldn't really see the belt.. The air ducts were clean with no oil or belt residue on them. I sprayed them out to be sure I was getting good air flow. The park brake isn't set at all. I run it up to about 30mph in low gear and there was no rubber odor. I decided to run it again in high and smelled the same way.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Guys, I took the bolt out of the case and there was hardly any oil on the bolt. Took both air ducts of the belt case but couldn't really see the belt.. The air ducts were clean with no oil or belt residue on them. I sprayed them out to be sure I was getting good air flow. The park brake isn't set at all. I run it up to about 30mph in low gear and there was no rubber odor. I decided to run it again in high and smelled the same way.
That's strange I was thinking that if you smelled it in low at the same rpm it would indicate the belt slipping when wrapped out. You say there was hardly any oil on the bolt, there shouldn't be any at all makes me wonder if there could be some on the belt. I believe that bolt is there to drain water out if you happen to swamp it and need to dry out the clutch area.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum! ....were you by chance stopping or slowing down in high?. I was thinking of running too slow in high may cause belt slippage or clutch discs to heat up and maybe slip, causing a smell.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Anyone know what would happen if the belt was put on backward? Factory belts should have an arrow on them and the arrow on the V-belt should point rearward according to the service manual.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Hardly any oil there shouldn't be any..............

1 - 20 of 33 Posts