Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scored a 2008 650 prowler that was already converted to a 4 seater for my wife to enjoy riding on trips to the dunes. The prowler is bone stock otherwise and I have read the mud clutch is the way to go for the sand but dont want to have 2 sets of tires and wheels laying around. I was thinking the sti mud trax tires. What other mods do you recommend? My wife is no dare devil but I want it to be fun for her.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You say you don't want to have two sets of tires/wheels laying around, but I think Seth is right. I've never had the Prowler out in sand yet (heck, haven't had it out in anything yet). But when I had my Raptor 660 ATV, I would never go out to the dunes without my paddle tires. Just not the same machine out there without them. So I had wheels/tires for trail riding and a separate set for the sand. I think the same would hold true for the Prowlers as well....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The best bang for your buck is the correct wheel/tire combo for the sand. It will run better on the sand than heavy dirt tires and wheels

When I go to the sand I switch to my sand tires/wheels which weigh 17lbs compared to desert tires/wheels 45lbs each.
Welcome,Same here with the sand tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't think about theextra weight of the set up. And I agree that Paddles make a huge diffrence on quads. My 450r hasn't had dirt tires on it for 2 years now. Keeping in mind the utv is stock what tires do you recommend and do you recomend a clutch? My wife is no dare devil and won't be trying to do anything crazy:rolleyes: but I want it to be fun and capable. I have only seen Razr S and hopped up Teryx's in the dunes first hand so I really don't know what to expect form the Prowler:D Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
if your going to buy tires buy for your normal ride areas V/S ones for once a year rides .. and most ride areas have enough styles of tires to give a wide selection and price range.

you don't say where you are or normal ride terraine , so not much nfo has been sent to you.

welcome to the site

ON EDIT... OOPS sorry didn't see the second post ... guess I should open both eyes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My normal riding is in the sand dunes, We normaly run in the sand lake, florance dunes. The stock wheels and tires are decent for normal dirt riding but wont work well for sand trips. 98% of our riding is sand. We went out today and the machine seams to bogg more than in should but is otherwise a real solid machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The correct sand tire/wheel combo will make you think a clutch kit was installed. What tires/wheels did you have on it when you went to the sand? I will gather some tire/wheel info for the sand and post soon for you.
Haven't made it to the dunes yet I just got my prowler friday night. The tires that came on it are less than impressive. I figure if I'm going to buy tires anyway so why buy them twice.:D

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Here is the tire info

Dune tire setup (sizes, offsets and such)
Rear tires- 7 paddle skat trak, Lumber Jack carcass 25x12-10
Rear wheel- Douglas blue label, 6061 .125, Offset 3" inside 6.5" outside. 9"
wide 10" diameter rim

Tire/wheel weighs 17 lbs

Front tires- Smooth Buff 2 ply Cheng shin 25x10-12
Front wheel- Douglas red label 6061 .190
Rim came with 2" outside off set a and 5" inside. Valve stem plugged and
relocated so the rim could be flipped. So the finished rim will have 2"
inside off set and 5" outside. Wheel is 7" wide and 12" diameter.

Tire/wheel weighs 18 lbs

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Desertcat! Is it better to have smooth tires in the front or paddles? I'm curious to how well these machines do in the sand. I dont want my wife getting stuck all the time.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Thanks Desertcat! Is it better to have smooth tires in the front or paddles? I'm curious to how well these machines do in the sand. I dont want my wife getting stuck all the time.
They do fine in the sand. Most guys run the smooth up front as they are the lightest and pack the sand down for the paddle tires to hit. I do see some using the mohawk front tire for added steering but the smooth are most popular.

These machines will run good in the sand if you keep the weight down as much as possible. With stock motor and clutching you will be surprised. Run the 25" tires with the tire combo I showed you it will have more low end torque and power than it does with the desert tires and cast wheels.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They do fine in the sand. Most guys run the smooth up front as they are the lightest and pack the sand down for the paddle tires to hit. I do see some using the mohawk front tire for added steering but the smooth are most popular.

These machines will run good in the sand if you keep the weight down as much as possible. With stock motor and clutching you will be surprised. Run the 25" tires with the tire combo I showed you it will have more low end torque and power than it does with the desert tires and cast wheels.
Thanks DesertCat, I know the 4 seat cage adds some weight but there is no way around that for me. What do you recommend for a clutch? mud or sand clutch?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Thanks DesertCat, I know the 4 seat cage adds some weight but there is no way around that for me. What do you recommend for a clutch? mud or sand clutch?
I have a stock motor and with the sand tires I did Airdams stage 1-2. Made a nice difference for what I do. My machine spends time at the sand dunes, desert and the mountains for camping. I did not want to go to extreme. A really nice dune clutch set up may not be the best for trail riding. So this is what I did and I am really happy. I have a 4 seater and too so that is added weight that's a must. At the dunes I run the tire/wheel set up I mentioned with now spacers because they add rotational weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts