Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded into a 2007 Prowler XT 650 H1. It has some issues that I am trying to work through and I really need some help. When I got it about 30 MPH was top speed, all it would do. Very little power on a hill. I read a lot on the forum and decided to check the valve / tappet adjustment... It was WAYYY off, I could have stuck a nickel in there. Getting them down to .004 / .006 took all the adjustment left in the adjustment screws. So, I guess I need a cam. Engine runs better now, a lot quieter, but still only 35 - 40 MPH, don't trust it to go up my usual trails yet. Looking for cam, do I need to look into other parts as well? Advice needed

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I may have some bad news for you but when my adjustment screws were like that it was because the oil pump driven gear stripped and no oil was getting to the top end. Before driving it any more I would check your oil pressure and that gear. I'm guessing you'll need at least a cam and new rockers, I've got a bunch of pics of the damage to mine I'll try to repost or send links. I had the same top end speed problem like you along with it. The 2007's had issues with the failing oil pump gear and the part was updated.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's a couple pics of mine, you can see that all the teeth were gone from the oil pump gear and the rockers totally shot.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
I think Mike (MLH1962) is dead on. There were some issues with the oil pump gears on certain models/years. The bottom end on these motors are pretty durable (all roller bearing, and splash lubrication), not so much top end! My 700 calls for a minimum of 12-20 psi of oil pressure at 2,300 rpm. There are several sites that offer a free service manual download: K&T lawn equipment, Country Cat are two that come to mind. Near the oil filter boss there are two allen plugs, or oil cooler fittings if so equipped. They suggest putting a gage to check pressure on the upper one.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's the mistake I made, I rebuilt the top end myself and while doing it I adjusted the valves and started the engine. It seemed to be pumping oil very well but that was at low RPM's and I guess there was enough nubs on the teeth to turn the pump but slipped at higher RPM's. I was warned by folks here to check the gear but I thought it was pumping and they were right I cooked the top end again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So I am curious as to the models and years that seem to have weak oil pump gears....... specifically if my 2010 XTZ may have that issue? No signs at this point, but while I have things torn down I'm wondering if it's something that needs checking?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Seems the oil pump gear failures were confined to pre 2008 650 Prowlers. Not sure when they upgraded the gear. I've never heard of a 1000 gear failure. I changed mine when I first heard about the concern, still got the old gear, and it is serviceable!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
So I am curious as to the models and years that seem to have weak oil pump gears....... specifically if my 2010 XTZ may have that issue? No signs at this point, but while I have things torn down I'm wondering if it's something that needs checking?
I believe your good to go in stock form , I have 5K++ miles on mine and most of them are hard trail and reclaiming trail rides as well as distance trail / cross country rides some to 800 miles .... I am engine wise 100% stock OH and mine is a early '09 model

·
Registered
237 Posts
RD & Gary, thanks for the info. It's a relief to hear that the 1000's seem to be ok. I did notice the oil cooler on my XTZ and was kinda surprised to be reading on here about adding oil coolers to the prowlers. I was actually glad to see that mine had one. Gary, do you have a oil temp gauge on yours? Do you think I should mount one?

EDIT: RD, I know you have one and I can see why with the problems that originally the 650 had.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
RD & Gary, thanks for the info. It's a relief to hear that the 1000's seem to be ok. I did notice the oil cooler on my XTZ and was kinda surprised to be reading on here about adding oil coolers to the prowlers. I was actually glad to see that mine had one. Gary, do you have a oil temp gauge on yours? Do you think I should mount one?

EDIT: RD, I know you have one and I can see why with the problems that originally the 650 had.
After I damaged a camshaft to a oil related issue, I decided oil temp gage would be a good thing! I drilled and tapped the bottom sump plate for a sensor, and also added a tee for a sensor in my return oil cooler line. I toggle between the two locations with a DTDP switch. I can see what is draining back into the sump, and see what the cooler is doing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SO, the guy I traded with had just got the Prowler a couple months ago, and had been told that the engine had been replaced recently with a new engine from AC. Which is also what he had told me (I would have never made the trade otherwise). After calling bs, and letting him know what is going on, he went to the used dealer he bought it from and talked to them, apparently they had been fed a line of crap also. Either the used bike shop or the guy I traded with are going to flip the bill for the oil pump and gear, cam, and rocker arms. (You wouldn't like me when I'm angry... ripping shirt... lol)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
no I do not have any gauges other than what comes stock in/on the cluster

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
You should have them throw in an Arctic Cat oil change kit, that's 40 bucks and you'll definitely have to change the oil. Make sure after you drain the oil take the plate off the plug screws into and get all the metal shavings out.

Reactions: Stump426

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Good point on the sump! Now the bad news about the sump is getting the bolts above the cross member out! I used a 30 Torx bit, and a 1/4 wrench to loosen them! Once out I replaced the torx bolts with a flanged bolt! Checking the sump is a maintenance item in the Prowler owners manual.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You should have them throw in an Arctic Cat oil change kit, that's 40 bucks and you'll definitely have to change the oil. Make sure after you drain the oil take the plate off the plug screws into and get all the metal shavings out.
Hey Michael67.......Mike has really good advice!!! Hafta remove the skid plate to do it, but ya never know what might be in there after what your lifters ad cam looked like. Hope somebody takes care of this and does it soon!!! Just curious........ I'm angry... ripping shirt.......... Do you happen to have green skin? Haha!! :)

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Buying used will present challenges! I was lucky on mine, as I bought it with only 366 miles on it! It was only when I tried to register it that I found out it was a repo! I really looked it over after that! Prowler was in good shape, one scraped fender, and hood had a scar that I was able to sand out! Dropped the skid plates and found half a corn field! Thinking the Prowler had a rough 300 first miles, but no damage to drivetrain!

Reactions: Stump426

·
Registered
168 Posts
Buying used is a crap shoot, always seems to be something you don't expect. I have purchased all my cats with something wrong and always find a few things that I wasn't expecting.

RD that reminds me, the bottom of mine was filled with reeds, stalks, mud and the winch cable was broke. It only had low 300's for miles too, but they must have really got it buried in the muck.

The prowler came from an insurance auction. So I knew it issues. Mostly a small fire but they said it was running and driving. You couldn't shift it, the wiring to the fuel pump has really bad and it leaked oil when you cranked it. So that was a lie, should know better than to believe them. I was pretty frustrated but a few more hundred in parts and a day of work and I'm happy now. After seeing the extra problems I gave it a nickname, the BOM (pronounced bomb) it's short for Bing Orange Mistake. I don't feel that way know but the name has stuck with the wife and kids.

We like it so much we are considering ditching the ATV's and getting a second prowler. A HDX so we can all go together.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Buying used is a crap shoot, always seems to be something you don't expect. I have purchased all my cats with something wrong and always find a few things that I wasn't expecting.

.......... After seeing the extra problems I gave it a nickname, the BOM (pronounced bomb) it's short for Bing Orange Mistake. I don't feel that way know but the name has stuck with the wife and kids.

We like it so much we are considering ditching the ATV's and getting a second prowler. A HDX so we can all go together.
I love it!!! I too purchased a low Km machine. Less than 900km on a 2010 and previously owned by 2 different 80 yr old men who used it to 'hunt a little and run around the ranch some' It had a few mods......but most were comfort mods.....windshield, RzR bucket seats, stereo and so on. It did have new wheels and 28" Swamp Lite tires on it too. It looked in great condition and I didn't expect to have issues.........but, as you so well said........"always seems to be something you don't expect." 1st it was no brake pads on front right rotor!! No Pad at all!! Caliper ruined. Rotor salvageable. Then this wet clutch issue....... nut that's supposed to be torqued to 221 ft. lbs finger loose and wet clutch doing a dance inside the housing. But as you also said, a few bucks in parts and it's good to go!! I think the thing is mostly people hiding what's being sold, or as in my case, the owner I bought from was totally unaware of the issues he had received from the previous owner. But seems that folks don't want to declare the truth and that disturbs me because ..... that's just not the way I roll!!!

I never got frustrated enough to name mine yet, but I love the one you chose!!!! the thing is, m

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
one man's opinion here

80 year old hunters don't have stereo's mounted in their rigs and usually wouldn't "upgrade" to RZR seats as those seats will hold you in rather than a quick exit [assuming they are old enough and are road hunters LOL]

I'm like you two .. I would declare issues if there were any and give full history as to services and maintenance items of interest. as well as any modifications I have done to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts