Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2009 Prowler 700 xtx efi a week ago. The PO said the cam chain tensioner was shot. After getting the new part in and installed, the chain still lifts up .100" off the cam gear so I'm guessing I'm in for a little more in-depth look at this engine. Grrrrrr.

I'm a Toyota Landcruiser guy that loves being out in the dirt. Offroading has taken me everywhere from guiding in Moab Utah to Pit crew/ Co-piloting a 2010 landcruiser in the Baja 1000 for about 6 years. This is my first venture into the UTV world. I have a couple boys that 12 and 14 yrs old that are itching to get out and explore with their Dad in something more manageable than a built 76 FJ40. I'm going to need all the advice I can get to make their first mechanical endeavor a success.

Trent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My local service guy at Arctic cat said my cam chain is very worn and most likely stretched. It has mushroomed on the gear side of the chain. Anyone have any idea what it would be wearing against to cause this? I had also heard that I may not have to pull of both clutches and split the case to replace the timing chain. Is there a way to do this without splitting the case? I'm assuming I should replace the chain guides as well while I'm in there. Anything else?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the forum! No need to split the case. You will have to pull the clutches in order to replace the chain. Download a free service manual at Country Cat. Without knowing the history of your motor, I'd recommend replacing the oil pump at this point, it will be cheap insurance! Chain guides seldom wear out, but if in question do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts