Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I am going to be buying a 2009 prowler 550. I am wondering what r some good tires for winter snow plowing use and also long wearing. I plan on driving it alot to and from work. Also is there anything I should watch out for on this machine? Any known comon problems? Thanks for any help. I look forward to learning alot from this site.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the site...we don't get much snow in AZ so I am sure someone in the more northern areas can give you some helpful insight to a good snow tire.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome Home, I dont even know if we want to get on the tire thing. There are so many differant views on the subject. I have Maxxis Big Horns 2.0s and I love them,But I have not had them in the snow,

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the site

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Big Horns work very well in snow, not well on ice ... was on a lot of ice today and they were the pits LOL BUT .. IMHO not much works well on ice
for plowing they will do very well IF it is plowed early .. I will be getting them on mine.
very good friend has them on his Rhino and we have put many miles on his rig [before I got mine] Elk hunting into deep snow without chains, deep enough to have the bash pan floating on top the snow for miles
great milage tire, one of the guys on the club ride today claimed his we're in excess of 5K miles .. older fella , ride was a quad with 6k on the clock .. tires still have lots of wear left , have no idea his drive style but we're in heavy forest lots of sharp rock and many many miles of log road and forest service roads .. VERY PUNCTURE resistant tire.

welcome to the site

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome, enjoy and learn. I have Interco, Reptiles on my XTZ. They are good diggers in the mud and snow, and the only tire i found that actually measures what they claim.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome natapoofan. Tie rods are a problem. You might see if you can get the dealer if you are buying new to install the heavy duty tie rod ends kit that ac offers.
What is wrong with the original tie rods? Are they breaking or bending? Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
help us help you .. fill in your personal information so we see where you live and we can better answer your questions .. fellow members from around you can advise based on your terrain needs.

but as to your question , the bend right behind the threads ... AC came out with a poor fix of longer jam nuts that add nut length so no they bend further up the shaft.

looks like the guys that have had the most problems are fast trail riders and the guys who are the sand riders [read in jumping them here] .. NO PERSONAL experience here but am buying a set for spares as I do long trails with big rocks , shale rock .. forests type rides.

there are a couple very good threads about this issue and one about the ball joint mount also you should read them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
help us help you .. fill in your personal information so we see where you live and we can better answer your questions .. fellow members from around you can advise based on your terrain needs.

but as to your question , the bend right behind the threads ... AC came out with a poor fix of longer jam nuts that add nut length so no they bend further up the shaft.

looks like the guys that have had the most problems are fast trail riders and the guys who are the sand riders [read in jumping them here] .. NO PERSONAL experience here but am buying a set for spares as I do long trails with big rocks , shale rock .. forests type rides.

there are a couple very good threads about this issue and one about the ball joint mount also you should read them.
Ok I read the post on the tie rods. It looks like the guys that are having problems are the ones that are really out off roading with them. I dont plan on doin much of that if any at all. Just drivin to and from work and using it for plowing in the winter.
But I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Minnesota rider

Welcome to the site! As far as tires go, No matter what brand of tire you get, go with a softer compound for snow and ice, Down side is they dont last as long, But they really grip that artic stuff we have to live with every year :D, Well that's been my experience with them on my 4 wheelers anyway.
Just bought my 07 Prowler this year and havent used it much (maby 1 hour)so i'm not sure the diffrence in tires on them, but i would imagine they would be the same..

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the site. Big horns are goog but stiff and will last long not great on ice. Terra cross are softer but will grip better on ice and snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts