Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, located here in Utah I am hoping to get some valueable information. I purchased a used 2007 prowler xt h1 in june of 2013 from a dealer in mesquite nevada. I was told it was owned by an older couple who took great care of it. The dealer said they did a full service and inspection on it and even delivered it to me. I had to fix a few things that I feel they should have done like brakes and front diff seals but I got it for a fair price so I did not complain. We took it out one time and drove it for a total of 186 miles before it blew out the rod bearing. granted it has 3000 miles on it I was hoping to get a little more use from it before any major repairs. anybody have any advice or suggestions on my next step. I can rebuild it for about 1200 in parts or a local shop would do it for 2500. also have the option of a new engine for 3000. would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had similar experiances. Thanks

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hello everyone, located here in Utah I am hoping to get some valueable information. I purchased a used 2007 prowler xt h1 in june of 2013 from a dealer in mesquite nevada. I was told it was owned by an older couple who took great care of it. The dealer said they did a full service and inspection on it and even delivered it to me. I had to fix a few things that I feel they should have done like brakes and front diff seals but I got it for a fair price so I did not complain. We took it out one time and drove it for a total of 186 miles before it blew out the rod bearing. granted it has 3000 miles on it I was hoping to get a little more use from it before any major repairs. anybody have any advice or suggestions on my next step. I can rebuild it for about 1200 in parts or a local shop would do it for 2500. also have the option of a new engine for 3000. would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had similar experiances. Thanks
Well If you go new you will get an engine will all the updated parts that were trouble ie oil pump drive gear, bevel gears. Plus a Warranty. If you can rebuild it with all the updated stuff for less thats an option. Me Personaly I went the new route and Im glad I did the new engine runs better and pulls harder than my old engine ever.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Welcome to the site,,,,,, I would go with the new motor for the money if it were me ,,I had an 06 700 efi quad, when they tor it down ,they said it was gonna cost me 1700 for parts,and who knows what else they would find when they got into it.....I found a bran new factory motor for 2300 in the box and it came fully dressed with everything........bolt it in and go.....the best part is I knew everything was new not rebuilt.......just my 2 cents

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but you know about "Old Couple's. I think I'd go with a new motor, Joe had a couple of great points supporting that option! Stay in touch and keep the faith, your prowler is a good machine!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site. Ran into problems with mine also because of the oil pump driven gear. I didn't have right tools or enough knowledge to do the rebuild myself so I went for the new engine also. I had around 2,600 miles on it when it failed, I now have close to 5,800 total miles on it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If it were me, I would tear apart the motor and see for myself everything that is damaged and needs replaced. That includes updating some of the parts to the newer, better items as well. Then I would price out each item. If not much less than new, then I would go with a new motor.

And for your information I bought my Prowler with a broken motor and rebuilt it. So I have been in your shoes. If you need any help on tearing it apart (or rebuilding it) let me know and I can try and help you along the way.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
From all they great info on this site i would go with the new motor,sounds like if the rod bearing went out i would have to say there is a good chance the motor has taken on a lot of dirt over the years,the older style prowlers did not have a pre-filter before the main filter,and the air intake is behind the cab right where all the dust is........all it takes is one good day of riding in the dust and your filter will be very dirty..................my thoughts new motor keep us up dated.and welcome to the best prowler site.:)the prowler is a great machine they all have there bad areas............i have a buddy of mine with a kaw t-rex with a bad motor from dirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you find a motor for 2300? cheapest I have found is 2800. thanks

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Did you look at Babbitts, but with shipping they would be the same. Gearhead might be able to help, and they are a site sponsor. Arctic cat store will ship to your local dealer, but you have to pick it up.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Yo Utah .. welcome to ya neighbor [I'm in Reno right now ,other place in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho] … where are ya there ?

fill in your signature and location so we don't waste your time asking in any replies we make in future.

can't help as I'm a XTZ guy and this is my first SxS … but a lot of knowledge on here with your model so answers and help will arrive .. the guys who have replied are a good source of info as most are long term SxS guys .

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Are you saying were old! LOL

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I'd say that I could qualify, but would not get any pity! So why bother.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Did you look at Babbitts, but with shipping they would be the same. Gearhead might be able to help, and they are a site sponsor. Arctic cat store will ship to your local dealer, but you have to pick it up.
I believe at my dealer it was 2600 to there shop.....still not bad.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motor update

Just an update if anyone is interested. just got my machine back after getting the motor rebuilt, ended up being $2800 but that included the updated transmission gears and oil pump as well as new crank, piston, bearings and alot of smaller parts that were missing. if you buy a used machine make sure you check it out really well. I think mine had issues and they knew it, no wonder they were happy to bring it from nevada to salt lake for me. runs great now, cant wait to get it on the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
That's awesome news!!! Break it in slow,,,,,,, and good luck with it:)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Glad to hear it. At least you know what you have now! The Prowlers are a great machine, I would not trade mine for anything!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I see you have it listed for sale in the local classifieds. Good luck on the sale. Unfortunately Arctic Cats don't seem to sell very well in these parts.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Just an update if anyone is interested. just got my machine back after getting the motor rebuilt, ended up being $2800 but that included the updated transmission gears and oil pump as well as new crank, piston, bearings and alot of smaller parts that were missing. if you buy a used machine make sure you check it out really well. I think mine had issues and they knew it, no wonder they were happy to bring it from nevada to salt lake for me. runs great now, cant wait to get it on the trails.
If you break it in right and keep your air cleaner clean it should make you a very good machine,for having all the work done and all new parts not a bad price.keep us updated on how it performs for you.:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont really want to sell it but the wife does not feel comfortable in it. how hard was it to put in the razor seats on yours. mabye with better seats and harnesses instead of seatbelts it would be better. where in utah are you? always looking for someone who knows the best places to ride.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts