Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been reading through the site past few days trying to decide if I want buy my cousins 2009 xtz 1000. He told me to make an offer on it if I was interested but not sure what a fair price is. It's been sitting about a year he thinks a head gasket went out and now has a rod knock. Could also use tires. He said it still runs but i went over today and battery was dead so also not sure on miles. Hes been the only owner. Any suggestions on a offer would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
well that depends on several things ... you a good wrench ?

unknown issues then a low ball ## is in order , these engines are not cheep to buy and chasing parts is not going to be low $$ either.

if you are not a reasonable wrench and need to farm it out to a shop that labor is in the $100 an hour range give or take on that some are way more.

suggest get a battery and get it started and look into the noises and figure out the carnage before an offer is given .. if that can't happen then the offer goes less the price of a new engine [after finding out what they cost] .. listen to the noise , use a stethoscope and find where it's coming from .. pull the plug and insert a bore scope .. but do figure out what ya have going on.

tires will be anywhere from high $80's to well over $120 each depending on what you get ..

this isn't a real cheep sport , but compared to a rock crawler jeep type rig it way cheeper so it's all relative.

now I didn't give you much help but you need to get your homework done first.

and WELCOME to the house lots of knowledge here and great fellowship to boot ..

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site, Gary summed it up pretty good. A rod knock in these things means a complete crank, and rods assembly. Pretty steep labor cost involved as you have to completely tear the engine down, and split the bottom case to press the crank out. A good running 09 1000 should be in the 6,000 neighborhood. With this unit the best I'd offer would be 2,000.00 dollars. But that is just me! Stay in touch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've rebuilt a few snowmobiles in the past so was hoping to tackle the job myself. I also have a friend thats a mechanic in a powersports shop that can help. I've been thinking around $1500. I'll probably try and get over their this week and throw a battery in it and see how it sounds. Thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've rebuilt a few snowmobiles in the past so was hoping to tackle the job myself. I also have a friend thats a mechanic in a powersports shop that can help. I've been thinking around $1500. I'll probably try and get over their this week and throw a battery in it and see how it sounds. Thanks for the help so far
Pretty sure you could part it out and easily make your $1500 back.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
That sounds like a good price, I was on PowerSportsNation and they had several prowler 1000 motors in the 2700 dollar range, but these are complete. Good Luck on the Prowler, I really enjoy mine!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Man, you guys are cheap. For $1500-$2000 I would buy it myself....

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I've been looking at some Used (well Used) machines to refurbish. Just not enough of a market for Side X Sides, seems everyone aound here wants new! I may just pick something up to go bad ass with!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I've been looking at some Used (well Used) machines to refurbish. Just not enough of a market for Side X Sides, seems everyone aound here wants new! I may just pick something up to go bad ass with!
Yea I would not even try to fix up and sell a sxs,like RD said everyone wants new or close to it and around here a prowler would not sell,from my dealing and selling quads it needs to be a 2005 or newer and a honda.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yea I would give 2000 for a 2009 xtz,but the machine in good running condition would be worth around 6 in my area//////my local A/C shop has a 2014 xtz 1000 that has been sitting over there for 1 year now they have it marked down to 12,500 ........and when I picked up my winch fri he said I could have it for 11,900 out the door.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
One of the dealers in my area finally sold the 2012 XTZ they had, everybody seems to be going the full sport ride! The Prowler is still my style!

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of the dealers in my area finally sold the 2012 XTZ they had, everybody seems to be going the full sport ride! The Prowler is still my style!
Same here RD. I said it before, the riding position definately works for my wife and I.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Yup, and love the new seats! What a difference they make, no more stiff back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well me and my cousin have both been busy so been awhile but I have some more information now and am actually looking to make an offer. We fired it up the other day has just under 1000 miles on it. It seems to run alright but did miss a little at first. It is loosing coolant somewhere not at a fast pace but it is going down. Didn't get it out so couldn't check for bubbling in the overflow also didn't have time to check the oil which I need to do yet. Noise sounds like its in the upper end not the lower end but hard to tell. It goes away when the rpms get above 2500 or so. I also forgot to mention originally it does have a full cab with doors. He finally gave me a number which was $3000 would that be a fair price or should I try and get it cheaper?
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
What year machine again?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Well me and my cousin have both been busy so been awhile but I have some more information now and am actually looking to make an offer. We fired it up the other day has just under 1000 miles on it. It seems to run alright but did miss a little at first. It is loosing coolant somewhere not at a fast pace but it is going down. Didn't get it out so couldn't check for bubbling in the overflow also didn't have time to check the oil which I need to do yet. Noise sounds like its in the upper end not the lower end but hard to tell. It goes away when the rpms get above 2500 or so. I also forgot to mention originally it does have a full cab with doors. He finally gave me a number which was $3000 would that be a fair price or should I try and get it cheaper?
Thanks in advance
The full cab itself is $1000 for a soft cab (new)or several thousand if it's a hard cab.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a hard cab. Is there any market for used cabs? I'm debating on whether I'd keep the cab or try to sell it still weighing the pro's and con's.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
It's a hard cab. Is there any market for used cabs? I'm debating on whether I'd keep the cab or try to sell it still weighing the pro's and con's.
There could be the problem would be shipping cost, where are you located? I think the 2009 still has the square roll cage and parts for those are getting hard to find.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts