Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather had a 08 prowler 650 that he stopped using and now he's letting me use it. It still doesn't get used very often but I plow with it. I usually go out and start it and let it run for a little while once a week. Recently it didnt wan't to start. Seemed like it was getting too much air. I took off the air filter housing cover and saw one, that the air filter was a replacement k&n and it doesn't fit right at all? Could anyone give me part numbers for filters, doesn't have to be k&n. I put my hand in front of the air tube on the front of the housing, cutting off a good amount of the air, and tried starting it, started right up and I took my hand away and it ran absolutely normal. So any ideas on this problem and possible solution.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Sounds like the choke is not working properly, but I have a EFI machine so I'll let someone else run with this! Welcome to the best site going! Lot of 650 owners on here. I use the Arctic Cat Store to get part numbers, look under the side by sides, and ROV. This will bring up all of the years and models. Stock filters are foam and oil is applied to them to catch dirt.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's the factory part number for the filter 0470-558, there's several sites including ebay where you can buy replacement filters. The average price for a factory pre-oiled filter is about 15 bucks and can be cleaned and re-oiled. This is for the foam filter only with the K&N replacement you may need the screen part also part number 0470-560. I'm sure someone here is running the K&N also which you should be able to clean and reuse but not if it's not fitting right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I cleaned my factory filter for the first time over this past weekend, found out it doesn't take a lot of the AC filter cleaner and oil to service it. I used way too much cleaner and after squeezing out all the excess it still took two days of airing out to dry, I oiled it today and took my experience from the cleaner to heart....a little goes a long way lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the filters. Any ideas on the not wanting to start unless I cut off the air? It has the automatic choke with the spring and knob. I've tried adjusting that, it doesn't help with the starting issue.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Does it run fine once started and restart easy unless it been sitting for a few days or more? I might know something that will help. Try plugging the hose that comes off the carb on the driver's side with a bolt, I know it sounds strange but it will help. I'll find a pic so you know which one I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've ran mine this way for over a year without any problems and it started a lot easier. I did unplug it today because I changed CDI boxes and some said it helped with starting so I'm checking that out.

Here's the hose I plugged, you can tilt the bed and find it behind the driver's side. Give it a try if it doesn't help your not out any money.

2014-11-14 17.55.30.jpg

2014-11-14 17.55.41.jpg

2014-11-14 17.56.14.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it starts fine if I start it shortly after it's run. I'll try plugging that tomorrow and wait a few days and see how it goes. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Yeah it starts fine if I start it shortly after it's run. I'll try plugging that tomorrow and wait a few days and see how it goes. Thanks.
I got the idea from someone else but my best guess is it helps slow fuel evaporation from the carb and since these have a vacuum fuel pump similar to lawn mowers it takes some cranking to get them going after they sit for a while. I tried a fuel line check valve also but it didn't help. So plug the line run it for a while and the next time it should start easier. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an 08 also. I just replaced all my fuel and vent lines. They looked fine, but after removing them, I noticed they were getting dry. I was having a fuel problem before I replaced them. Haven't had an issue since. I think the manual says to replace them every 2 yrs.? They can let air in, without leaking fuel. Its an easy check!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the info on the filters. Any ideas on the not wanting to start unless I cut off the air? It has the automatic choke with the spring and knob. I've tried adjusting that, it doesn't help with the starting issue.
I had the same issue with mine when i was using the stock carb,I pulled the electric out and put my finger over the hole in the carb and it would fire right up......The new electric choke cost 180 dollars,now I run a different carb with a manual choke,it can set for weeks and fire right up.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My grandfather had a 08 prowler 650 that he stopped using and now he's letting me use it. It still doesn't get used very often but I plow with it. I usually go out and start it and let it run for a little while once a week. Recently it didnt wan't to start. Seemed like it was getting too much air. I took off the air filter housing cover and saw one, that the air filter was a replacement k&n and it doesn't fit right at all? Could anyone give me part numbers for filters, doesn't have to be k&n. I put my hand in front of the air tube on the front of the housing, cutting off a good amount of the air, and tried starting it, started right up and I took my hand away and it ran absolutely normal. So any ideas on this problem and possible solution.
To make my [email protected] fit right i had to trim the front part of the filter where the intake tube comes into the air box,I also use water proof grease around the lid gasket.fits great now........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts