Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am finally getting the hang of my new to me toy and enjoying it!!!!!2010 10000 xtz, HOWEVER I have a issue I am unable to fix. I after a fast quick jont in the field I returned home with smoke burning off the exhaust. Turns out the crankcase vent line blew off the splitter box (or what I call it) OK that is repaired only to now suspect a crack in the splitter box. What is the real name where the 3 vent hoses attach so i can pu a new one.

Also I am not sure if this "splitter box" has another purpose, (i suspect it does) for now that the hoses are fitting tighter the oil is being burnt out the exhaust and it is blue when I really give it the speed. I do not suspect engine issues (rings)because it runs smooth & great, no blue when idling and no excess blue when throttle released. ALso no unburnt oil in exhaust. Is this splitter box a filter or check valve or something different. If not any ideas on the oil issue would be great. Thank you all in advance

Tradesgirl Nancy
2010 prowler 1000 XTZ

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Oil Separator AC part Number 0470-857! Replied on the other site also! Hope you like your machine! Enjoy it!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Tradesgirl, saw your post on other site regarding a heater. Lot of information posted here! I think a small car heater would work with some fabrication, or look at the small unit that was posted recently. Many posts in the Project Section of this forum. Hot topic every winter!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fairmont. I will look into other posts for sure. Got that separator on order, hard to wait for it to come in. LOL

ttyl

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Nancy I jumped over to the other site and read the post about the heater, there's a lot of options. The Firestorm is a good under dash heater, I have a friend who install one on a Ranger it put out good heat but he has the tendency to play in deep mud and water and is having problems fan motor now, it's a good option if you don't go deep. I put a Summit Racing heater under my hood and it works pretty good but I think one that's mounted in the cab would recirculate warm air as it's heated where I'm always pulling in outside cold air.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mln. I tried the firestorm, it is not available in canada, however I ordered one online but received an email saying they did not make one for my unit. I smell a rat but cant do much about it. I would like one that is tied into the cooling system for I do not want to take the chance of running the battery down in the -30C and colder weather. I will re. look into summit but I recall that there was something about it that did not meet my needs.

Thanks again, I love this site and hope to visit it more often.

Nancy
2010 1000 XTZ

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's a couple pics of the one I installed in mine. Doesn't look like Summit carries the exact same heater but this one looks like it's replacement:
Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters SUM-991106 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

And here's the defrost duct I used, I used the two outside vents for the defrost and the center to a floor duct I made out of PVC.
Summit Racing® Heater Duct Kits SUM-991103-1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

What I don't like about it is that I lost a lot of under the hood storage and since this is higher than the radiator I added a pump like the one included with the factory Arctic Cat heater. The good thing about under the hood is it stays protected. I think I would buy a smaller one if I ever had to replace it.
Heater Craft - Pump 12v 1 Gallon Per Minute Shrflo for Arctic Cat

I got most of my stuff cheaper than the prices listed 4 years ago, but even piecing it together the cost added up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I forgot to mention that pump also keeps the coolant circulating through the heater core when the thermostat closes.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I forgot to mention that pump also keeps the coolant circulating through the heater core when the thermostat closes.
1 gal. per Min. good enough ? or would a 3 gal. min. be better ??? or is that a case of 1 is good 3 would be better making it flow too much 'cause we all know bigger is better LOL

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
1 gal. per Min. good enough ? or would a 3 gal. min. be better ??? or is that a case of 1 is good 3 would be better making it flow too much 'cause we all know bigger is better LOL
I looked at different pumps when I was trying to find the specs for the AC pump and the thing that concerned me was the max psi. The more GPM a pump had the higher the psi before it would quit pumping, the 1 gpm wouldn't over pressure the radiator cap if something failed in the system.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Well I am finally getting the hang of my new to me toy and enjoying it!!!!!2010 10000 xtz, HOWEVER I have a issue I am unable to fix. I after a fast quick jont in the field I returned home with smoke burning off the exhaust. Turns out the crankcase vent line blew off the splitter box (or what I call it) OK that is repaired only to now suspect a crack in the splitter box. What is the real name where the 3 vent hoses attach so i can pu a new one.

Also I am not sure if this "splitter box" has another purpose, (i suspect it does) for now that the hoses are fitting tighter the oil is being burnt out the exhaust and it is blue when I really give it the speed. I do not suspect engine issues (rings)because it runs smooth & great, no blue when idling and no excess blue when throttle released. ALso no unburnt oil in exhaust. Is this splitter box a filter or check valve or something different. If not any ideas on the oil issue would be great. Thank you all in advance

Tradesgirl Nancy
2010 prowler 1000 XTZ
let us know if the oil separator fixes your problem.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys I picked up the New oil separator. I went to install it only to discover the real reason the old one is full of epoxy. The previous owner increased the hose from what looks like 3/8" to defiantly 3/4". I only looked into the air box and it seems to have been drilled out and a 3/4 elbow installed so I should be able to install an adaptor back to 3/8 but not sure if I should?? and what the purpose would have been.

Also while looking into air box I did notice the deep compartment up front on the left is full of oil - I think I read somewhere that oil is common in there?? I hope to include a picture of that oil if I can download it properly. Sorry could not figuire out how to drag file over and upload it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well guys I picked up the New oil separator. I went to install it only to discover the real reason the old one is full of epoxy. The previous owner increased the hose from what looks like 3/8" to defiantly 3/4". I only looked into the air box and it seems to have been drilled out and a 3/4 elbow installed so I should be able to install an adaptor back to 3/8 but not sure if I should?? and what the purpose would have been.

Also while looking into air box I did notice the deep compartment up front on the left is full of oil - I think I read somewhere that oil is common in there?? I hope to include a picture of that oil if I can download it properly. Sorry could not figuire out how to drag file over and upload it
I also wonder of oil in the deep compartment in the air filter box. Got a small amount oil in it. Where does it come from? I have told myself that it is excess air filter oil, but im not sure..

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I can't think of any reason for replacing the 3/8" line with anything larger! Excess oil off of the air filter settles in the front compartment. This is normal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Air filter

When I clean the main air filter I make sure to clean out all the extra oil in those compartments. DON~~~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts