Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driven gear, discolored,worn teeth and excessive backlash?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I can see the wear on the teeth,looks like all the teeth are still there,good sign for 2500 miles. Iam just hoping for the best never changed mine,if mine screws up ill just take it to shane.........HA,HA,

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the discoloration is, but it does not clean off! Almost looks like rust. Bad Casting?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here is a picture of my oil pump driven gear (old style). Would love to see the difference between the new style driven and the old, but I guess I'll have to wait until I order my new one. I have no idea how many miles are on my motor as the speedometer was DOA when I purchased my Prowler off of a friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've read these reports of the teeth breaking on these, but I guess I just don't understand why. There isn't that much resistance from that oil pump. It just spins freely. I can't see the teeth breaking unless somehow the oil pump itself siezed up. So I'm curious what is different about the new gear that prevents it from breaking (just harder material)?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
oil pump gear

shane yours looks brand new,thats what mine looked like when we changed my internal clutch springs,but i didnt know about the problem at the time.Iam like you i would think the pump or something would have to lock up to break the teeth off. i did find out a buddy of mine who had the teeth break off his gear was stuck in the mud and just kept standing on it until it got so hot it shut off. did that twice in the same night.then had to be towed home. I told him he didnt have any sence,and then he cuts down the prowler..................

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larger holes, and fewer. Sorry I didn't get a photo before I swapped them.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Larger holes, and fewer. Sorry I didn't get a photo before I swapped them.
I can't really see that change making it stronger. I would think it would have to be made of stronger metal or something. Machined instead of cast or something like that?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
shane I would say the reason for the new gear to have bigger but fewer holes is for balancing reasons to keep the same weight as the old gear,but i agree it wouldnt make it stronger.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The bad gears were supposed to be made of a softer metal I was told.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I was just told the old gear is like pot metal soft and brittle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So are they both made from cast? New gear casted with better material?
I am going to search for all the posts about this and add them to FAQ tab under oil pump drive gear. If anyone finds a thread about this copy and paste it in a PM to me please.
Seth, technically AC lists that gear as the "driven" gear (gear that mounts directly to the oil pump). Just wanted to make that clear as it could confuse people that might be doing a parts search.

I don't believe the "drive" gear has changed part numbers over the years. But does anybody know if the "drive" gear should also be replaced at the same time as the driven?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If the drive gear cost honest then sure but I would inspect and reuse if it looks good.
Listed below is the oil pump drive gear and it is about $30.

Gear, Oil Pump Drive part# 0811-003

1 - 16 of 16 Posts