Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unfortunately a few years ago i had air filter problems and ingested dirt into my motor. its not much to kill it but enough to where it eats some oil. i am not as flexable as i used to be so checking my oil on my hdx isnt the easiest and i have to do it before each ride.
i was working on my 1978 john deere 316k and had an idea when checking its hydro oil. it has a plug on the lower end of the rear end and another plug on the top. it runs a clear hose from plug to plug and it mounts the hose to the rear end of the machine. the oil goes through the hose allowing you to see its level. i was thinking why not do this with my hdx? if i remove the oil drain plug and install a plug with this type and run the hose to a remote location i can see. i do not need to remove my drain plug to change oil anymore. i have an oil extractor that removes all but 1/4 oz of oil.
the plug im thinking of is below and i would have another like it for the oil dip stick hole. once i have my oil at the full mark i would just mark the tube. also i have attached a pic of the john deere sight tube from a 316 and also one from a newer 430 that looks much more professional.
thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
good idea IF the routing is such that what you run over or through can't get at the tubing or fitting .. dead limbs are damn tuff and will rip loose / accessible stuff off

the door idea is a very good one that I haven't dome YET but will one day. the XTZ's are not easy to get at even unhooded [can't get to them at all when hooded]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea IF the routing is such that what you run over or through can't get at the tubing or fitting .. dead limbs are damn tuff and will rip loose / accessible stuff off
i was thinking of having it routed into the cab to prevent that. maybe beside the cup holder on the floor.
i have a son that never checks oil. i was thinking this would give him a better look at it and can at least tell me its low lol

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Seems like a good plan, if the tube is going to be easily seen.

I have to remove the driver seat and the seat base to check the oil in my XTZ. Its not hard, but its inconvenient and time consuming. Fortunately, with the few hours/miles I put on every year, it is not worthwhile for me to go this route

·
Registered
125 Posts
It sounds like a great idea. Keep us posted

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
A sight glass should work as described. These things can be a pain to check oil! I have a XTX and was able to add an access door to the motor cover to check oil. Could you add a flexible dip stick to the stock location. Just thinking out loud! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts