Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big problem fella's, i havent been on in a while, with being busy with the lil girls activities and changing jobs over the last few months and have been riding even less. Need some possible help before i resort to a dealership for service.
Yesterday, i finally was able to take my first good ride of the year which is unlike me cause normally im riding all year round but, we all get busy. Anyways we was riding in a very crouded enviorment because the oil and gas has several of our riding places shut down so everyone went to our old stomping grounds every bit of 1000 plus people Mud Trucks, SxSs, Atvs, Dirt Bikes and whatever else manage. Most of them drunk acting like idiots as usual and parking in the middle of trails blocking the way for us others. and this is where the incident starts.
We was attempting to ride up a creek that we all have rode in and know pretty well. except this it was a lil deeper that most and i was leading the back and i was a lil far from the bank as usual. where the XTZ then began to stall. At this very moment i turned the ignition off. We pulled it back down and out of the creek that we was traveling up. Pulled the Plugs, Drained the Air Box Drained the Clutch and checked the oil. Oil was good very minimal moisture, so we cranked it over and pumped all the water out of the pistons. and put it back together and it fired right back up. let it idle a lil while before we took off.
Once we took off i made it about 50 ft and she stalled and hasnt started since. have pulled to plugs out checked spark checked oil and checked everything else that i could thing of and its just not wanting to start. Is there a possible parking breaking sensor isssue that could keep it from starting is there a tip sensor that could doing this or what. because it was running and just shut down.

Any advice would be nice before it heads to the dealership.

Stumped:confused: And Sick:(

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
check the fuses on top of the battery , one [don't remember what one] may well be blown ... seems like it's a 15 amp one but maybe a 10 .... had the same thing in mine , I have since gone to resettable circuit breakers replacing all fuses

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gt I have checked all fuses and none are blown. I'm completely stumped on this, truly don't think it jumped time, because I shut it off so quickly trying to save it how ever, I may have not made it. But it was running fine for about 20 mins before it died the second time before it stalled and hasn't started since.

Also it wasn't smoking when it was running either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Got spark?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Mine has a tip sensor located under the passenger seat on the frame rail. My understanding is that kills the ignition when activated, parking brake sensor only effects the starter circuit. More than likely something minor. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Big problem fella's, i havent been on in a while, with being busy with the lil girls activities and changing jobs over the last few months and have been riding even less. Need some possible help before i resort to a dealership for service.
Yesterday, i finally was able to take my first good ride of the year which is unlike me cause normally im riding all year round but, we all get busy. Anyways we was riding in a very crouded enviorment because the oil and gas has several of our riding places shut down so everyone went to our old stomping grounds every bit of 1000 plus people Mud Trucks, SxSs, Atvs, Dirt Bikes and whatever else manage. Most of them drunk acting like idiots as usual and parking in the middle of trails blocking the way for us others. and this is where the incident starts.
We was attempting to ride up a creek that we all have rode in and know pretty well. except this it was a lil deeper that most and i was leading the back and i was a lil far from the bank as usual. where the XTZ then began to stall. At this very moment i turned the ignition off. We pulled it back down and out of the creek that we was traveling up. Pulled the Plugs, Drained the Air Box Drained the Clutch and checked the oil. Oil was good very minimal moisture, so we cranked it over and pumped all the water out of the pistons. and put it back together and it fired right back up. let it idle a lil while before we took off.
Once we took off i made it about 50 ft and she stalled and hasnt started since. have pulled to plugs out checked spark checked oil and checked everything else that i could thing of and its just not wanting to start. Is there a possible parking breaking sensor isssue that could keep it from starting is there a tip sensor that could doing this or what. because it was running and just shut down.

Any advice would be nice before it heads to the dealership.

Stumped:confused: And Sick:(
Chaz where was you at Powerline park.............hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I was at a old small stomping grounds that it "shut down" called 7 creeks yet many still ride. Fairmont do you know how to reset tip sensor and I have spark fuel and air.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Not sure it is re-settable, I think it just resets by itself. There is a procedure in the manual to test the tilt sensor. I found it in the XTZ repair/service manual under the electrical systems. Depending on the price, it may be something I may stock for future!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
never had the issue re. tip sensor ... not sure why as I have had it on it's side 2 times and been at VERY STEEP angles many many times ... I'd better educate myself on that sensor Eh .. might need to carry one in the boondocks box too .

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like they are set for 30 degree's, at least that is where they test it at!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I think it resets by itself, they do show how to check voltages at different angles, and if you don't get the required readings the tilt sensor is bad. Almost looks like a miniature mercury switch! 3 poles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill let you all know. I have given up I will be taking it to the dealer this weekend when I'm back in town and able.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Good luck Chaz! How is the new job?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry, guys for such the long wait on the update. But I just got the update myself. They wasn't able to work on it last week. So today I get a call and while we was cleaning it out trying to get it running a so called buddy dropped part of his paper towel in the airbox and got sucked into the intake valves and are holding them open. And never said a word to me about it. Needless to say I'm not happy with someone. Especily when something was said about using a paper towel on the trail.

As for the new job its going great. I never knew the even existed until I was interviewed. I am a much happier person. And would not go back to the prison system for anything.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Glad your new job is going well! It would be hard to go back to working a prison! Especially when criminals seem to have more rights than victims, or LEO's! Understand your stance on the Prowler!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
So today I get a call and while we was cleaning it out trying to get it running a so called buddy dropped part of his paper towel in the airbox and got sucked into the intake valves and are holding them open. And never said a word to me about it.

Now that would be a Buddy who is NEVER allowed to wrench on anything in your shop ... beer and BS yup but wrench NO DAMN WAY:mad:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Sorry, guys for such the long wait on the update. But I just got the update myself. They wasn't able to work on it last week. So today I get a call and while we was cleaning it out trying to get it running a so called buddy dropped part of his paper towel in the airbox and got sucked into the intake valves and are holding them open. And never said a word to me about it. Needless to say I'm not happy with someone. Especily when something was said about using a paper towel on the trail.

As for the new job its going great. I never knew the even existed until I was interviewed. I am a much happier person. And would not go back to the prison system for anything.
thats great news on your new job.........i would think he would have noticed that......so now what has to be done.:mad:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys for the wishes on the new job. Its much appreciated.

Well as you know how it goes when your on the trail. When your 25 miles from home or your truck you try to make do with what you got. And there were many hands helping me and my buddy. And my gf said he wasn't the only one after I showed her. She also said she doesn't think anyone did it deliberately. Because she is the type that doesn't trust anyone and said she was watching like a hawk. so maybe I am jumping to conclusions. But you would at least think you would notice that much gone. Not to mention he is a very good mechanic. Has done the work that I'm in able to do for years. I didn't take it to him cause we was both stumped after the fact and I was frustrated and give up.

As for what needs to be done now. Dealer said they was trying to pull out all of the paper towel without removing the heads if they could. Cause the pt was holding the valves open. And I can only imagine removing the rear head on the xtz cause everything about the xtz in a pain in the ass to do. Even simple things like check oil or pulling the rear plug.

I am hoping to hear from him again tomorrow with more good news. Cause they had me worrying about needing the heads replaced due to bent valves up until I argued my statement till I was blue in the face about having it running after the drink.

So today I am feeling much better about my dealers honesty and integrity because he called me about the pt and insisted on sending me the pictures as he chuckled and said once we get it cleaned out you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks guys for the wishes on the new job. Its much appreciated.

Well as you know how it goes when your on the trail. When your 25 miles from home or your truck you try to make do with what you got. And there were many hands helping me and my buddy. And my gf said he wasn't the only one after I showed her. She also said she doesn't think anyone did it deliberately. Because she is the type that doesn't trust anyone and said she was watching like a hawk. so maybe I am jumping to conclusions. But you would at least think you would notice that much gone. Not to mention he is a very good mechanic. Has done the work that I'm in able to do for years. I didn't take it to him cause we was both stumped after the fact and I was frustrated and give up.

As for what needs to be done now. Dealer said they was trying to pull out all of the paper towel without removing the heads if they could. Cause the pt was holding the valves open. And I can only imagine removing the rear head on the xtz cause everything about the xtz in a pain in the ass to do. Even simple things like check oil or pulling the rear plug.

I am hoping to hear from him again tomorrow with more good news. Cause they had me worrying about needing the heads replaced due to bent valves up until I argued my statement till I was blue in the face about having it running after the drink.

So today I am feeling much better about my dealers honesty and integrity because he called me about the pt and insisted on sending me the pictures as he chuckled and said once we get it cleaned out you should be good to go.
hopefully they wont have to pull the head.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts