have an 07 650 xt
my over ride switch on the console dosen't activate anything in reverse
i think its supposed to allow faster speeds in reverse
anything would help
thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
One thing you must remember is that you have to be in 4wd for that override to work. It will not work in two wheel drive. I know I have run into that problem with a lot of my customers.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
eaac is correct, the override switch works in 4WD reverse. It protects the diff gears which are not as strong in reverse operation as they are in forward operation.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to bi pass it yet?
Why? All that would result in is broken diff gears. It doesn't limit your top speed in forward drive. It's strictly a safety to keep you from overpowering your diff in reverse 4WD.
Any helical cut gear (helical cut gears are quieter and stronger in one direction) is designed for it's strength in one direction, the opposite direction is weaker. Hence the need for the limiter in reverse 4WD.

Now if you want to improve your ignition performance, hopefully a few companies will have new CDI control units out soon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On the 650 model there is a CDI already out for them and it does override the reverse limiter. I have them, so if you want a price shoot me a p.m.

Darryl is right. Not only is it hard on the bevel gear, but they can get a little hard to control in reverse if you start getting some speed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why? All that would result in is broken diff gears. It doesn't limit your top speed in forward drive. It's strictly a safety to keep you from overpowering your diff in reverse 4WD.
Any helical cut gear (helical cut gears are quieter and stronger in one direction) is designed for it's strength in one direction, the opposite direction is weaker. Hence the need for the limiter in reverse 4WD.

Now if you want to improve your ignition performance, hopefully a few companies will have new CDI control units out soon.
Actually, it DOES limit your speed in forward drive! (2008 XTX700efi) At approx 90-92 kph, my engine cuts out (rpm or speed limiter?), but if I hold the reverse over-ride switch down at around 88 kph, it'll pull right up to 100 kph! Just to be sure, I did let off the switch at 95 kph and yup, she died! I would assume (I hate that word!) that the other models are the same??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Actually, it DOES limit your speed in forward drive! (2008 XTX700efi) At approx 90-92 kph, my engine cuts out (rpm or speed limiter?), but if I hold the reverse over-ride switch down at around 88 kph, it'll pull right up to 100 kph! Just to be sure, I did let off the switch at 95 kph and yup, she died! I would assume (I hate that word!) that the other models are the same??
I've heard from a couple guys the same thing. But according to AC factory guys, it's not designed to do that. Others I've talked to say nothing happens for them in forward. But hey, if it gains you a few more mph, cool. What have others experienced? I know my XTZ doesn't cut out at top speed, it just doesn't go any faster.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've heard from a couple guys the same thing. But according to AC factory guys, it's not designed to do that. Others I've talked to say nothing happens for them in forward. But hey, if it gains you a few more mph, cool. What have others experienced? I know my XTZ doesn't cut out at top speed, it just doesn't go any faster.
Actually my buddy told me about it and I was.........well, pessimistic. But when I tried it on mine, it definately worked!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have actually been told that the XTZ is limited to 85mph but I bet none of us have hit that yet. I will let you all know real soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have actually been told that the XTZ is limited to 85mph but I bet none of us have hit that yet. I will you all know real soon.
HOLY SH*T !!!! That's approx 140+ kph!! THAT IS FAST !!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have actually been told that the XTZ is limited to 85mph but I bet none of us have hit that yet. I will let you all know real soon.
I've had mine to 82mph and it just seemed to have no more to pull faster. It didn't cut out or act like it was hitting a limiter. But the engine is still loosening up some, maybe if it works up to 85mph then we'll see.Next time I talk with an engineer from AC, I'll ask them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts