Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I took the (new to me) XTX for a run up a mountain. Panorama ski hill to be precise. 2 of us onboard. We got to the Mile High Lounge and I noticed the overheat light was on, so we stopped and let it cool for awhile (2 cans of beer to be precise on times). Coming down was no problem, other than the smell of coolant that had burped onto the frame.

My wife pointed out that the label on the engine compartment suggests 15 degrees as maximum climb angle. I know we exceeded that for quite some time. I topped the system up with fresh coolant this morning and will watch it today. Has anyone put a coolant recovery tank on their ATV? I'm thinking it would be very helpful.

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I havent yet but Im thinking of adding one from an XTZ, have you thought of using a coolant additive to reduce your temp I use the amsoil coolant additive and my Prowler runs cooler with it and the cooling fan runs a lot less.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
coolant additive

joe it shouldnt got hot ,what do you think.i run engine ice and it made a bigger difference than i thought it would. but before i did that mine never run hot.:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yyc is your radiator clean,some people over look that.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
joe it shouldnt got hot ,what do you think.i run engine ice and it made a bigger difference than i thought it would. but before i did that mine never run hot.:)
I added it to be safe all I know is the cooling fan runs a lot less than it did . If he bought his used it may have sand or dirt in the fins of the radiator. Dont know with out seeing it. My prowler runs at about 175 degrees tops at 190. and the fan olny has to run for a few seconds to bring it to 170

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
temp

mine will run up to 180 then the fan kicks on and drops it to 155 then shuts off.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Easy things to check, make sure your fan fuse isn't burnt. was your fan coming on? Joe's suggestion is a real good one, I'm going to add some to mine.. a cooler engine is a longer lasting engine :) when I run mine hard and fast for a long time of some of the local dirt roads it will burp a little coolant but it doesn't seem to overheat. were you in low or high range?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
mine will run up to 180 then the fan kicks on and drops it to 155 then shuts off.
I dont think it would run that cool in AZ

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, you AZ boys see some crazy heat! I bet your coolest day would be my hottest one up here! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clean fane fa

Just back from a run through a bunch of logging roads. Nothing I wouldn't take my jeep through. We did some uphills for extended periods of time and the overheat light start flashing. We parked in one spot for a lunch break as the temp guage was flashing, and as soon as I stopped the engine started burping coolant. I didn't hear the fan, so will doublecheck the fuse this aft while it's still sunny. The rad should be clean - the unit got a detailed pressure wash after our last mudventure. Thanks for the pointers guys!

PS - Panorama is a great place to go for a run. Great scenery, logging roads, ski trails, cut lines, washouts (didn't attempt the big ones - would have been a long walk back through bear country if we got stuck :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the guilty culprit is

a 15 amp micro fuse. Not sure what would have tripped it, but swapped it for the 15 amp fuse in the 'accessory' circuit - nothing using acc power at present, and we, umm, didn't bring any spare fuses along... I'm sure a couple will appear in the gear bag soon enough...

Coolant recovery tank next. I *think* there may be a spare stainless one in the garage from an old project...

Cheers

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I read somewhere thats its a common problem on someachines rickthe rocket on this forum sells circuit nreakes to replace the fuse

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you were running through a lot of mud and water its really easy to burn up that fuse. I've done it a couple of times, when the blades of the fan hit mud or water it overloads the circuit and burns out the fuse. To avoid this you can put an inline switch to turn your fan off before crossing any deep holes or you can simply stop and pull the fuse like i've been doing. I'm going to do what Joe suggested and get the circuit breaker style fuse and install an inline switch to take that worry out. I overheated mine a couple times this summer already.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I havent had a problem with mine but Im going to get the circuit breaker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Circuit breakers

I sent a note to Rick and got a price on the breakers - seems like a great idea to swap them for the fuses. Now - would it be best to swap all the fuses for breakers? Or just the fan?

Also a great idea to put a fan switch on - I'm sure that's what caused mine to pop, I just haven't driven it hard since the last mudfest...

Thanks again guys :)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
joe,yours runs cool for those kind of temps you have out there.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I did order one today just in case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything is clean, the spewing coolant looks nice and slimy green new. The fuse was pooched - waiting on some circuit breakers. Swapping all the 15s and a 30 out for breakers. Nothing worse than being stuck on top of a mountain in bear country with a duff fuse...

·
Registered
733 Posts
cheers, glad you found the problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts