Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my wife was coming up our driveway tonight, and I could see the muffler glowing red hot.... I walked over to it, and after cooling down I tried to start it, it would start and die repeatedly, run for 1-2 seconds “running rough” and die. Then I started flashing P0339 on the display.

ive searched this code and found it to be crank sensor related. Would that also cause my red hot muffler? I understand the crank sensor tells the ignition when to fire, could this misfiring cause a glowing muffler? I’m lost looking for help.

this is a 2016 prowler 1000xt, has around 750 miles on it.

·
Administrator
7,364 Posts
Hi guys, my wife was coming up our driveway tonight, and I could see the muffler glowing red hot.... I walked over to it, and after cooling down I tried to start it, it would start and die repeatedly, run for 1-2 seconds “running rough” and die. Then I started flashing P0339 on the display.

ive searched this code and found it to be crank sensor related. Would that also cause my red hot muffler? I understand the crank sensor tells the ignition when to fire, could this misfiring cause a glowing muffler? I’m lost looking for help.

this is a 2016 prowler 1000xt, has around 750 miles on it.
Ignition timing off will cause a red hot exhaust. Check the crank sensor. Free service manuals at Country Cat will walk you through the test/settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Prowler XT 1000 has these exact same symptoms and error code. Where you able to get to the bottom of this issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2017 Prowler XT 1000 has these exact same symptoms and error code. Where you able to get to the bottom of this issue?
I replaced the stator and crank sensor, that got it firing on both cylinders, and it idles smooth now. NOW when driving it if I hit 20-30mph it cuts in and out, and throws P0336 P0337 codes, I’m at my wits end with this thing, anyone have any input? I thought about cutting out the connectors and soldering the connections going to the stator/sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up taking mine to the local dealer. They replaced the spark plug on one side and put in a new battery. Apparently this is all mine needed! I’ll haven’t picked it up yet but I’ll find out soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up taking mine to the local dealer. They replaced the spark plug on one side and put in a new battery. Apparently this is all mine needed! I’ll haven’t picked it up yet but I’ll find out soon!
How is it going? Any luck in the fix??

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is it going? Any luck in the fix??
I haven’t driven it much since I got it back but it does seem to be running like normal again. With the one spark plug fouled it eventually ran on just one cylinder, which is what caused the muffler to get red hot. I think I got lucky. But if you’re having the same symptoms as I was it’s worth checking the spark plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts