Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post some pictures of my "new to me" Prowler project. I just finished completely rebuilding the motor due to broken bevel gears and tearing out the front differential and replacing the seals. Cost me more than I had hoped because the broken bevels took out the case and bent the throughshaft as well. I'm glad I did all the work myself. Now I know this thing inside and out pretty much. Still a few things to tweak here and there. Eventually she will get a rear seat and cage as well. If anybody needs some bevel gear help or any motor help just ask me. I took a lot of pictures and maybe one would be helpful to you, and maybe I'll be able to help with any questions.......

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
nice looking ride. there alot of satisfaction from doing something yourself, not to mention the knowledge will come in handy later. :D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually surprised how easy it was to rebuild the motor. As long as you take your time and attack it in sections (left side, right side, center) it isn't bad at all.

Now I need to actually drive this thing. I haven't taken it out on the dirt yet. I've only ran it up and down the street by the house just to make sure everything was okay after the rebuild. Now to see how it performs....

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
nice ride man... looks very clean!!..good luck with it:D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Nice Looking Prowler!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks good man. How many miles did you have on it before the bevel gear gave up? Did you up the CC's in the rebuild? I've got an 07 with 615 miles and hoping I have many more miles to go before I see that kind of damage.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Looks good man. How many miles did you have on it before the bevel gear gave up? Did you up the CC's in the rebuild? I've got an 07 with 615 miles and hoping I have many more miles to go before I see that kind of damage.
I bought the Prowler from a friend already broken. Didn't know what the original issue was but I took a gamble from my research that it was the bevel gears. So I bought it at a discount figuring I could fix it cheap if it was just the bevels. What I wasn't prepared for was the cracked case, bent throughshaft, and the digital display was bad. So I have no idea how many miles are on it since I had to buy a new display.

I didn't up the CC's but trust me I thought about it. After the added expenses from above (plus others I didn't list) I couldn't afford it. Plus since this was my first time rebuilding a motor, I didn't want to add any other unknown variables to the mix. I was just happy it started and didn't blow up on me the first time...:D

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I bought the Prowler from a friend already broken. Didn't know what the original issue was but I took a gamble from my research that it was the bevel gears. So I bought it at a discount figuring I could fix it cheap if it was just the bevels. What I wasn't prepared for was the cracked case, bent throughshaft, and the digital display was bad. So I have no idea how many miles are on it since I had to buy a new display.

I didn't up the CC's but trust me I thought about it. After the added expenses from above (plus others I didn't list) I couldn't afford it. Plus since this was my first time rebuilding a motor, I didn't want to add any other unknown variables to the mix. I was just happy it started and didn't blow up on me the first time...:D
good job attempting all the work

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
My 07 has 1,600 miles on it when I bought it last spring, it now has almost 3,000 on it. So far its still running good. When the bevel gears go bad are there any warning signs? As loud as these things are I would think it would be hard to hear unless it was at an idle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 07 has 1,600 miles on it when I bought it last spring, it now has almost 3,000 on it. So far its still running good. When the bevel gears go bad are there any warning signs? As loud as these things are I would think it would be hard to hear unless it was at an idle.
I think you will hear it when it goes bad. My Prowler changed hands twice. It was owned by a friend who moved away. He sold it to a mutual friend who planned on fixing it, but never got to it. And then I bought it. All I was told when I bought it is that it won't move. Original owner had already taken off the carb and a few other things when I bought it.

So first thing I did was put the carb and stuff back on to start it and see for myself what the thing was doing. When I did get it to start and tried to spin the tires you could hear an aweful clunking noise. So if your bevels go, you will likely lose most forward/rearward motion and you will hear a horrible clunking noise (at least from my limited experience).

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
My luck may have run out. I was riding around town earlier and I started have a strange noise which got very loud and sounded as if was coming from the rear of the engine or rear axle. I made the last turn to head home and it quit totally and sounded fine. When I got home I let it idle and rocked it back & forth and it would make the sound again. Seemed to be from the rear of the engine but could locate it.

Going to take it for another ride and see if I can hear it again, hope I don't have to push it home.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My luck may have run out. I was riding around town earlier and I started have a strange noise which got very loud and sounded as if was coming from the rear of the engine or rear axle. I made the last turn to head home and it quit totally and sounded fine. When I got home I let it idle and rocked it back & forth and it would make the sound again. Seemed to be from the rear of the engine but could locate it.

Going to take it for another ride and see if I can hear it again, hope I don't have to push it home.
If I were you I wouldn't drive it. I think you would be better off to put the rear on jackstands and drive it that way. That way you can rotate the tires and try to focus on the noise. If you do hear the noise, and it may be the bevels, I wouldn't keep rotating the tires very much. Depending on the situation, that could put a lot of stress on everything and I wouldn't want to see you make it worse by cracking the case or something else. If it is just the bevels, then that is no big deal. If it cracks the case then you are SOL. $1000 for a new set of cases, unless you can find a used set in good condtion or find a good welder.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Know it wasn't the smart thing to do but I took it for a ride and one thing lead to another so I hit a mud hole and buried it so bad had to use the winch to get out! Still didn't hear the noise again but I will take your advice and check it out before I crack the case (saw your post after I played).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures of the hairline crack in my case from the broken bevels.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'm going to get the rest of the mud off today and check it out. I've never tore one of these apart before a little nervous about screwing something up.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going to get the rest of the mud off today and check it out. I've never tore one of these apart before a little nervous about screwing something up.
Hopefully you don't have any bevel issues. But if you do, these things aren't really that hard to work on. This was my first time tearing apart the motor. Pretty easy as long as you take it in sections and stay organized. I bagged up each componant with all its parts and added a notecard as far as orientation and any note I thought was important. Then I separated all those componants into separate boxes for (center case, left side, right side, and top end).

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hopefully you don't have any bevel issues. But if you do, these things aren't really that hard to work on. This was my first time tearing apart the motor. Pretty easy as long as you take it in sections and stay organized. I bagged up each componant with all its parts and added a notecard as far as orientation and any note I thought was important. Then I separated all those componants into separate boxes for (center case, left side, right side, and top end).
So what cost was involved? I've been trying to look up parts online but no matter what site I go to I get the message "Sorry, the part finder is currently unavailable. Please check back shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts