Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having problems for a long time with starting issues, Thought it was battery. Had battery checked, checked fine. went throu all the connections and cleaned. Still nothing.

2011 Prowler HDX

Sometimes it will turn over some others it wont go past dead top center like its vapor locked. Been having this issue for awhile and now it to the point cant do my old tricks to get it to start

Hopefully somebody know what this is and I can get it fixed asap need bike on the trail with family

Thanks for any advice

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Sounds like the starter is failing. Are you under warranty? The manual say's to check the starter use a volt meter. Hook the leads up with the key off, should read 0 volts, turn the key to start, it should not read less than 10.5 volts. Mine failed, and it was reading 6.0 volts. Easy to change, but nobody rebuilds them that I know of. I went on EBAY to find the best deal. Hope this helps. RD

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
It sounds too new to have the valves out of adjustment but that might cause the same problem. The starter would be the better place to start a lot less work to check.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My xtx used to do that from time to time.. I would just let off the key and give it another flick of the key and it would usually start right up. The starters are sufficient normally to turn the engine over but at top dead centre they have a lot of compression.. Usually just flicking the key a few time would work for me.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Been having problems for a long time with starting issues, Thought it was battery. Had battery checked, checked fine. went throu all the connections and cleaned. Still nothing.

2011 Prowler HDX

Sometimes it will turn over some others it wont go past dead top center like its vapor locked. Been having this issue for awhile and now it to the point cant do my old tricks to get it to start

Hopefully somebody know what this is and I can get it fixed asap need bike on the trail with family

Thanks for any advice
used to have a 87 250r my self...............:cool::cool:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I forgot to add as well that it may be your battery, sometimes it will take a charge like a good battery and will test as though its good but it doesn't have the cranking amps to get the job done. Might wanna replace the battery, I did on mine and it solved that problem as well.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I forgot to add as well that it may be your battery, sometimes it will take a charge like a good battery and will test as though its good but it doesn't have the cranking amps to get the job done. Might wanna replace the battery, I did on mine and it solved that problem as well.
True, most of the time a load test will tell the story.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I have 2 batteries in the HDX both are good, I hooked the one battery directly to the starter and it worked a little but, it seems to me the starter is bad because of how hard it was trying to work and how hot the wire got at that point. So I ordered a new starter off of ebay and a new solenoid just because it was cheap enough why not? all my wires are good but i did buy some new ends for the wires and going to replace it all when the parts come in. Thank you all for your help and suggestions very much appreciated. This HDX has been a pain the but for sure broken tie rods, ripped the rear cross member out once, welded it back plus plated it, then ripped the mounting tabs out of it, rebuilt those and trussed + plated those then blew a U Joint. U Joint was probably the problem to begin with being the shafts were oval shaped when removed and most of the needle bearings in all the caps were gone. Never add extra lights to them unless they are LED's that was a problem in the begining.

Thanks
FILR Offroad

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Ok so I have 2 batteries in the HDX both are good, I hooked the one battery directly to the starter and it worked a little but, it seems to me the starter is bad because of how hard it was trying to work and how hot the wire got at that point. So I ordered a new starter off of ebay and a new solenoid just because it was cheap enough why not? all my wires are good but i did buy some new ends for the wires and going to replace it all when the parts come in. Thank you all for your help and suggestions very much appreciated. This HDX has been a pain the but for sure broken tie rods, ripped the rear cross member out once, welded it back plus plated it, then ripped the mounting tabs out of it, rebuilt those and trussed + plated those then blew a U Joint. U Joint was probably the problem to begin with being the shafts were oval shaped when removed and most of the needle bearings in all the caps were gone. Never add extra lights to them unless they are LED's that was a problem in the begining.

Thanks
FILR Offroad
Hope you get it straighten out,do you have any pictures of it,I had some trouble running Halogen light's also,went to LED'S AND HID'S..........keep in touch do you own a off road shop.????????????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope you get it straighten out,do you have any pictures of it,I had some trouble running Halogen light's also,went to LED'S AND HID'S..........keep in touch do you own a off road shop.????????????
I do lift kits, snorkels and custom metal fab for my friends in the club FILR Offroad is just a group of us that use to ride together allot, starting to get back into it more but everybody is getting rid of their jeeps and 4 wheelers and going all side by sides. I'm picking up the new Honda Pioneer soon and a new Polaris Rzr not the 1000 but a 900 or a 800S probably, I do all my own work to them custom metal roofs, bumpers, lifts, snorkels, rock sliders, and crap like that just a hobby really

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I do lift kits, snorkels and custom metal fab for my friends in the club FILR Offroad is just a group of us that use to ride together allot, starting to get back into it more but everybody is getting rid of their jeeps and 4 wheelers and going all side by sides. I'm picking up the new Honda Pioneer soon and a new Polaris Rzr not the 1000 but a 900 or a 800S probably, I do all my own work to them custom metal roofs, bumpers, lifts, snorkels, rock sliders, and crap like that just a hobby really
Cool,we have a member on here that is looking for a lift for his xtz,do you make them for my 650.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can make a lift for anything as long as its in front of me, The only thing I have templates for are for Honda foreman, Yamaha grizzly, arctic cat HDX, will soon have one for Polaris rzr, Honda pioneer. I'm trying to venture out a little but unless your close, it wouldn't work cause I need a bike for a new lift for almost 5 days ( 1-2 days measuring suspension droop and bump, 1-2days making templates, 1 day plasma table/ bolting on, 1 day testing). However the ones I build don't limit your suspension in how much up or down travel like most, I garantee a better ride and at least 2in of lift.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I can make a lift for anything as long as its in front of me, The only thing I have templates for are for Honda foreman, Yamaha grizzly, arctic cat HDX, will soon have one for Polaris rzr, Honda pioneer. I'm trying to venture out a little but unless your close, it wouldn't work cause I need a bike for a new lift for almost 5 days ( 1-2 days measuring suspension droop and bump, 1-2days making templates, 1 day plasma table/ bolting on, 1 day testing). However the ones I build don't limit your suspension in how much up or down travel like most, I garantee a better ride and at least 2in of lift.
I wish you didn't live so far or I didn't..does the xtz take the same lift as the HDX does it list it as it does.that was my main concern I have nice shocks and I dont want to effect the ride............

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish you didn't live so far or I didn't..does the xtz take the same lift as the HDX does it list it as it does.that was my main concern I have nice shocks and I dont want to effect the ride............
well online others lift kits say they will fit the xtz 1000 as well as the Arctic cat HDX 700. Mine im not so sure about since mine is all lower A arm mounting front and rear. reason i went with all lower A arm mounting is to get a better ride and more suspension travel. Using the top shock mount in the rear limited me to how much i could invert the shocks and keep a constant shock travel and ride quality.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wish I didn't live so far either, you'd have your first xtz project!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
well online others lift kits say they will fit the xtz 1000 as well as the Arctic cat HDX 700. Mine im not so sure about since mine is all lower A arm mounting front and rear. reason i went with all lower A arm mounting is to get a better ride and more suspension travel. Using the top shock mount in the rear limited me to how much i could invert the shocks and keep a constant shock travel and ride quality.
All the ones I seen were top mount also...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts