Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a 2010-2011 prowler 550.......but i had a few questions i hope could be answered here.....Is it powerful enough to plow snow?......how bout power to climb hills or ride trails with 2-200lb riders?......or keep up to single rider atvs?

·
Banned
70 Posts
I have never personally drove one but from what I have heard they dont have much ooompf. you mighthave to ride i low alot more than most

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was thinking of buying a 2010-2011 prowler 550.......but i had a few questions i hope could be answered here.....Is it powerful enough to plow snow?......how bout power to climb hills or ride trails with 2-200lb riders?......or keep up to single rider atvs?

It will have no problem plowing snow in low. It should have no issue climbing hills, would also recommend low.

What size atv do you plan on keeping up with? You will run out of speed before most atv's of comparable size.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A friend has a 450 rhino amd it has plenty of power for plowing. He brings it to Moab,Utah and runs with atv/utvs from 450 to 1000 cc with no problems. I think a 550 prowler would do fine.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The new 550 does over 50mph!

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 550 will ride along with atv's no problem but his question was will it keep up.

If they open up their atv's he's going to fall behind in the long run.

But don't let that deter you from a fine machine, we ride with atv's in our group all the time and if they want to run that's fine we know we'll catch up at the next stop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea when those ATV guys get to the end of the trail, and get off for a rest you can just point and laugh when you go by them, You wont be nearly as tired or sore as they will..:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 09 550. My top end is 53mph via GPS on level roads. I have no problem running with Honda quads that my buddies have. My only trail problems are the Prowler being wider than the quads on some trails, and once getting stuck on a trail hill. I stopped just short of the peak, then the belt would slip... Thinking of getting stage 1 done to my pulley. Going to look at a used Polaris plow tomorrow, I think the prowler will do fine plowing.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That 550 is strong my mom has one and it rips!
I have not lined it up against my 650 but think it will keep right up no problem and the 550 has no speed limiters!
I say it is a good buy as compared to my 650 with a 700big bore they feel very comparable.
If you go riding with other atv's they will convert over to side by side, every one in our group did! You can ride all day and you are not complaining about sore knees or back.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with ya riddler. All my friends are converting to sxs too. My wife never wants to go back. Ride all day. Never one complaint out of her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
550 plowing snow

Thanks for all the responses guys........I got alot of mixed opinions from here and elswhere.......so I got a 2008 700 efi last night......I'm picking it up this morning....

·
Banned
70 Posts
you will be very happy with the 700 efi I am

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys........I got alot of mixed opinions from here and elswhere.......so I got a 2008 700 efi last night......I'm picking it up this morning....
I bought my 2008 XTX700EFI brand new in Aug/2009. It's awesome! I play lots in it and it plows snow all winter too! It has almost 4000 kms (2400 miles) and my only issue has been a flat (fkd) tire, I ran over a railroad spike!! LOL All stock it ran 100+ kph (60+ mph) and even now with it all loaded up, spare tire and mount, hardtop, windshield, etc it'll stiil pull hard right up to 90 kph (55 mph), it'll go faster, but it pulls hard up to that speed. It has been a great unit! I ride hard pack trails, sand dunes, mud and snow, it does it all with the stock tires even! I'm VERY pleased with my unit!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts