Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ended up having to tear into my wet clutch to fix an oil leaking in to the CVT case. I was looking at the clutch faces on the primary clutch and noticed they've got a bit of a dish to them. Has anyone here tried to machine them flat again? I've got a friend that's an accomplished machinist who said he'd do the work if I could tell him what to do with them. Wouldn't be hard if the circlip holding the seal in the moveable face wasn't in the way. Would I be able to start the machining about a half inch from the edge of the hole and work out from there without creating a wear point for the belt? I'm thinking I would have to take off about 1/16th of an inch to clean it up.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Not sure how much material is on the face, or if it is treated in any way. I think several firms do machine the faces. My only thought would be how it would effect the belt if inner and outer faces are not the same? Did you belt slip prior to the oil leak? If not I'd opt to run it as is. Just my thoughts! If you do machine it let us know the outcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how much material is on the face, or if it is treated in any way. I think several firms do machine the faces. My only thought would be how it would effect the belt if inner and outer faces are not the same? Did you belt slip prior to the oil leak? If not I'd opt to run it as is. Just my thoughts! If you do machine it let us know the outcome!
I was planning on getting both inner and outer faces done. There was definitely a surge (felt like a gear shift) in the low end which could have been belt slip. The belt looked good until it got oil soaked. I tore the secondary apart and it's way worse than the primary. I may just ride it like it is until business picks back up and buy new ones. Maybe then I'll play with the machining on the old ones.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Check out Powersportsnation.com, they sell a lot of used parts at decent prices.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I was planning on getting both inner and outer faces done. There was definitely a surge (felt like a gear shift) in the low end which could have been belt slip. The belt looked good until it got oil soaked. I tore the secondary apart and it's way worse than the primary. I may just ride it like it is until business picks back up and buy new ones. Maybe then I'll play with the machining on the old ones.
If you get your primary sheaves machined,you will gain more low end,it will make the belt ride lower in the sheaves..........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you get your primary sheaves machined,you will gain more low end,it will make the belt ride lower in the sheaves..........
I had read something in the forum about this. I think Adam from Air Raid wrote it. I'm not sure how Id pull it off the way he did with the circlip being in the way. It holds the spacer seal in. I'm afraid the seal would end up walking out of its seat without the circlip.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Can you post a picture of the clip?

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I think you have to have 10 posts before you can attach a picture. But thanks for trying!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets try this again. Adam was saying he started by removing 1/16" from the center and tapering out to the corner on the outer edge. It may have been a different year or something, didn't say.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I thought that was what you were talking about! I had an old clutch plate and I tried to pull out the bushing/bearing! No go, not sure what the heck holds it in, but it appeared in to stay!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I thought that was what you were talking about! I had an old clutch plate and I tried to pull out the bushing/bearing! No go, not sure what the heck holds it in, but it appeared in to stay!
press fit / under sized hole heated and other part frozen ???

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Must be! Part appears to be nylon! Just not sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts