Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I finally got all the parts together to change my '09 700 xtx from a turf saver to posi-trac , and am having trouble getting axles to get locked in. Took it back apart and found that by putting axle , rear end cover and gear together on bench , it will only lock in if I leave out the spacer that goes between bearing and gear.
Something is not quite right here. Has anyone else run into this sort of trouble before?:confused:

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
I did mine for the same machine, and have not had any problems. I'll see if I can find my pictures of the gear.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
You should have between .002 - .004" clearance on the case and the gear. I was able to shim mine to the right specs. using factory shims. I used the 2012 Prowler Service Manual for assembly instructions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I may know the problem. Working in a cold shop at home. Took parts to work and warmed them up. Seem to click right in there now. lol
I will try again tonight when I get home. Will just have to do it quick before everything cools down again.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Cold Shops Suck! LOL Hope it works for you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success. :) Seems like working with warm parts works best. Put a heat light under gear case and took parts from house one at a time. Axles locked in nicely. Put winter car tires on for plowing and took it for a short test drive. Feels good.
Next project is to replace rear springs because one is broken. Looks like it will be OK for plowing but will have to do before I take it out to those remote fishing spots in the spring.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Glad to hear it! N.S. is some beautiful country! Visited Haven when we there two years ago!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Success. :) Seems like working with warm parts works best. Put a heat light under gear case and took parts from house one at a time. Axles locked in nicely. Put winter car tires on for plowing and took it for a short test drive. Feels good..
congratulations on getting it done !

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Just South of Halifax, where they filmed the TV Show Haven! Had a chance to visit the town, and the locals. Very friendly bunch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. The TV show Haven was actually filmed in the Town of Chester , N.S. and that is about 40 minutes south of Halifax as you said.
I actually never knew that until I looked it up on Wikipedia. lol

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
We had a ball over there! I left my Prowler in N.H. as I didn't know how difficult it would be to get it across the border. Me Dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts