Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2006 prowler 650 problem just started we can start the unit, it's when we shift it seems to jump gears & when we put in to (N) it seems to want jump to (R) and there is a noise coming from the left side of the engine by the belt area

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
How many miles?

Maybe the wet clutch is worn and glazed or the shifter de-tent.

How does it feel with out engine running is it positive engagement in all the gears?
You could try each gear then rock machine by hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has about 2700 mile but they are hard miles used on a farm and have been loading with fire wood.Starting is no problem let it warm up can go forward in low and even high , the problem starts when you stop and shift in to (R) and put in (N) it seems to be in (N) make s funny sound and seem to want to creep forward like its in forward.
We parked it haven't had time to pull the belt cover off and see if belt is going or maybe one of the clutchs is going bad!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hmmm

1. How does the shifter engagement feel with out the engine running?

2. Does the machine have the same problem if you shut engine off then shift into R or N and re-start machine?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Try adjusting your shift linkage, they are prone to slipping on the shaft

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
What is your idle RPM?
If it's to hi you can have problems like this.
Adjusting Engine RPM​
(Idle)​
To properly adjust the idle RPM, a tachometer is
necessary. To adjust idle RPM, use the following
procedure.​
��​
NOTE: To access the idle adjustment screw, it
will be necessary to remove the seats and center
console.

1. Set the parking brake. With the transmission in
neutral, start the engine and warm it up to normal
operating temperature.
2. Turn the idle adjustment screw clockwise one
turn past the recommended RPM setting; then
turn it counterclockwise to 1250-1350 RPM.​

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Same problem here and found issue

Just ran into same problem on my xtz.
There was no engine stall in gear if you shift into H or L or R it would jump and die like the crankshaft was direct to the primary clutch.

Pulled clutch cover & all checked OK.

Pulled wet clutch cover and found the 1 way bearing had galled up on the wet clutch.

So I winched up on the trailer and dropped it off at the dealer.
Since I still have warranty,
They asked what problems I was having, I said "or do you want to know what part's it need's" I also called and checked b4 bringing it in to see if parts were in stock... LOL
They just kinda shook their heads and said only you would have already taken it apart to check out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have't had time to get it in my shop! Looks like I may be able to get it in this weekend, your problem sound like what I have. I don't know if that's good or not? Really would like to take care of this problem with out taking it in and be charged $85 per hour shop rate.
Haven't call a dealer, i know what they will say (bring it in and we can take a look at it)

I know about the shift linkage & setting the RPM had did that this past fall because of it starting hard, called the dealer and they said bring it in and we can look @ it, turned out to be bad gas line, all the line was rotten and had holes starting , if you bent the hose it would crack and suck air. Sad to say I looked at every thing but the gas line didn't find until we put a primer ball inline, Boy did I feel dumb!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would investigate on my own first.
Will your machine idle in high or low range with out moving?

Mine would not, because the oneway bearing had the wet clutch and primary turning together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes can be started (N) but once you shift in (F) or(R) it wants to take off,
it don't sound right. If you try to start in gear it amy start but want to take off.
I was just thinking! You know if I wouldn't spend so much time on the Internet I may have had this problem fixed!

·
Registered
97 Posts
you can take the one way bearing out and run it. all it does is give you engine breaking at low speeds, as in slow enough the wet clutch releases. other then that you will not see any difference at all. just make sure you break works. i did this on my 08 650 prowler. you still have engine break, but once you slow down to 1 or 2 mph and the clutch releases it will free wheel. you can tap the gas or hit the break.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question?? Where is the wet clutch at?
Do have brakes but parking brake never did work, not even when new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts