Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I have completed my new trailor,Its 6x12,has a 6000 LB trailor axle,5 leaf springs and 6 lug wheels and 2x8 flooring,the side rails are 1/4'' angle trailor scales at 1,970 LB.I have to have a stout trailor so I can pull my kubota to my cabin.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
nice rig ..

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Nice job mike!!looks like mine only heavier

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
That is a nice trailer!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Really nice! I like it

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Gary, how did your trailer work?

·
Registered
414 Posts
It worked great! On a side note, i definitely need to regear my truck. Those 3.55s just arent right for pulling 5000lbs of additional weight. Dodge dealers techs were dumb and quoted me $4k just to change gears and wanted to argue with me and tell me my truck had a 10 bolt rear and wouldnt believe me it had a 12 bolt rear. Idiots. Local parts yard has a full axel with 3.92s for $400 and a front diff for $200. No brainer.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked great! On a side note, i definitely need to regear my truck. Those 3.55s just arent right for pulling 5000lbs of additional weight. Dodge dealers techs were dumb and quoted me $4k just to change gears and wanted to argue with me and tell me my truck had a 10 bolt rear and wouldnt believe me it had a 12 bolt rear. Idiots. Local parts yard has a full axel with 3.92s for $400 and a front diff for $200. No brainer.
Gary that's a great deal on those axles.:)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
what type Dodge truck .. a diesel ?

if a diesel then you have either a Dana 70 or Dana 80 if 3/4 ton and Dana 80 if one ton
and IF it's a diesel that gear for that weight is a NON issue .. just turn up the power a bit. .... I pull a 16K fifth wheel with that gear and a G/N trailer that has seen 25K lbs. many times again no issue. My rig is at 570 rear wheel horse power but I turn off all the power adders and am just twin turbo'ed with big injectors at that point .. I am somewhere in the 400 hp range when I pull heavy.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
My buddy and I have completed my new trailor,Its 6x12,has a 6000 LB trailor axle,5 leaf springs and 6 lug wheels and 2x8 flooring,the side rails are 1/4'' angle trailor scales at 1,970 LB.I have to have a stout trailor so I can pull my kubota to my cabin.:)

so not to sound all pissey or anything [sorry if this comes across wrong].... but why a single axle ?
I personally hate a single axle for safety reasons alone ..

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so not to sound all pissey or anything [sorry if this comes across wrong].... but why a single axle ?
Gary I think he has a Dodge Dakota.Not sure.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Mike .. sent U a PM unrelated to this thread

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Mike .. reposting .. ya missed this one

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's a 2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab with the 4.7L V8. Has the optional 12 bolt rear which is just a shortened version of the axle off the Ram 1500.

I have a small 10ft single axle trailer for towing my machine to local rides. It does great. Not squirelly at all and well balanced for a homemade trailer.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have. 10 ft single axle for my Prowler tows fine.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I picked up a used 10x12 with a 3,500 single axle for 600 bucks to haul mine.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
"I havw. 10 ft single axle for my Prowler tows fine."

just my personal preference guys .... I had a bad experience many years ago with a single axle and now won't have one because of it. lost a tire / blow out and all hell broke loose before I could get it to the side of the road .... I was towing too fast to boot. I know my fault and fully admit to it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts