Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...So don't judge me. :p

Since I cannot afford a $20,000+ toy hauler, I've decided to go the route of making my own. There's not too many toy haulers out there that offer room enough (as in height) to roll a Prowler into, even one chopped 4".

I found a beefy flatbed tandem axle trailer with a 6' x 17' deck for $800. I already had a small 1981 Rough Rider pickup camper which I had picked up for $500.

Concept: mount the pickup camper on the front of the trailer. Build storage skirts around with that are accessable from inside the camper and outside. Refinish the deck and paint the camper as well as the metal trim of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
looks like a plan to me....................:cool:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything seems to fit nice! Now it's time to start the fabrication of storage on each side and beautifying the thing to make it presentable.

Storage:
Going to use angle iron to build a box from under each side under the camper to bring it flush with the side of the trailer. This will add stability to the camper itself as well as add a tough frame to mount the plywood to. Going to be two outside access doors on each side.

Front:
Once the storage areas are built, I am going to install a full sheet of diamond plating to the front for a rock sheild. Also going to install a plate for two propane tanks to eliminate the 2 gal tank on the side which can be used for more storage.

Deck:
Thinking Herculiner for traction and durability. Also going to redo the fenders a bit and add sheet metal to the inside of the fendes for additional splash protection. Also going to make short bang boards that will extend from the back of the camper to the rear of the flatbed portion. All removable of course. The deck will serve as a dining area. Going to also make longer poles for the rear that we can extend an awning from the camper to the back of the trailer for shade.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thats one heck of a good Idea man! maybe I'm a bit of a redneck but that will make one heck of a nice trailer! a LOT cheaper and lots of room for the Cat.. cheers man, can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Great idea, and you can't beat the bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I wanted to relieve my truck of some of the weight in the ass and dropping that 900 lb camper onto a tandem axel trailer did just that and my daughters quad fits nice and snug in the bed of my truck. Fully set up, it'll probably work the 4.7L V8 in my Dakota a bit, but I'll still be under the 5500lb limit my truck is rated for.

·
Registered
733 Posts
good call! thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've never seen Buckwild but me and a bunch of us were just talking about building some sort of toy hauler and we were checking out this rig and saying good idea! coincidence I guess!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it was a pretty good idea too. My wife thinks it looks a bit gaudy, but she lacks my "vision" for a final product. lol. I think once I get the storage areas all framed off and finished, it will look much better. I pretty much got the thumbs up after I showed her how much money it will save as opposed to buying a manufactured one. ;)

I'm glad she agreed to it too, because I absolutely hated loading and unloading that thing with those shaky, old-fashioned hand crank trailer jacks. lol.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good idea too. My wife thinks it looks a bit gaudy, but she lacks my "vision" for a final product. lol. I think once I get the storage areas all framed off and finished, it will look much better. I pretty much got the thumbs up after I showed her how much money it will save as opposed to buying a manufactured one. ;)

I'm glad she agreed to it too, because I absolutely hated loading and unloading that thing with those shaky, old-fashioned hand crank trailer jacks. lol.
I think it will look great when you get it finished,looks like a nice stout trailor.:)

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Yeah understand wife's vision or lack of, but mine always manages to see through me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RD

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...my wife is getting good at that too.

I can't say I'm impressed with where the prices of steel and aluminum are going lately. Looks like I'll be using 0.06 aluminum diamond plating and using it to skin over plywood to build my skirts.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yeah...my wife is getting good at that too.

I can't say I'm impressed with where the prices of steel and aluminum are going lately. Looks like I'll be using 0.06 aluminum diamond plating and using it to skin over plywood to build my skirts.
I know here where I live a sheet of diamond plate 4x8x1/16 thick cost 120 dollars.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a bit of conceptualizing this morning. Thinking of framing things off and going this route:

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Looks like you got it planned out..................:cool:

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Keep it going, nice project, great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RD

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks real good!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whadya think? Think I can get my wife to sign off on this idea?????

·
Administrator
7,277 Posts
Dollar wise, you can't beat the price, I don't see how you can lose any investment on it. The (if!) resale should exceed any money you spend on it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts