Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
This is a great question??? I would like to be able to check my compression. With all the blown head gaskets a easy compression test would be great!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
On my invoice from the dealer when I had a blown head gasket they wrote ~160psi on one cylinder and ~80psi on the blown one. So I assume stock compression is in the 160 range..

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
So if i want to check my head gasket I just get a head gasket tester? Is it really that easy? make sure it is at 160psi?

If you really wanna check the head gasket goto napa and get a block test kit for ~$50..

·
Registered
142 Posts
The kit has fluid to test if there is HC (exhaust gases) in the coolant.. the fluid will change from blue to yellow if it does have a blown head gasket.. the 160 psi is checked with a standard compression tester... Here is a pic of the block testing kit w/ yellow fluid showing a blown head gasket

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
thanks i will probably go buy a few test kits,,lol

Also do you guys think I should check my rings? I want to makes sure i am still getting everything out of the engine I got stock.

I have always done this by the seat of pants test, and according to the seat of pants I seem to of lost a little hp? Or i have just gotten used to the power? not sure, just want faster as usual

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Here is this quick reference guide but does not show comprssion, I think it is 11.1,,,,,,I cant find it in print, i read about it a few times, they talk about the hemispherical heads and the compression and I remember it seemed aggressive. here is a great resource it might be here on Johns page

http://www.utvguide.net/arctic_cat_prowler_xtz1000.htm

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Can one of the Chris's help us out?

MCX-USA Turbos bump, what the stock compression

1 - 13 of 13 Posts