Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my 2011 Prowler the rear diff exploded under load in 2x4. I dont think the rear axle is beefy enough for the power the engine has when pulling a load in 2x4. The 1000 CC engine in low range puts out way too much torque for that diff design. The side walls of the alloy case of the diff are super thin. Like 1/8 in. Anyone have any insight to a beefier diff to be using that is reasonable bolt in? I can weld if needed to add mounts.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
So on my 2011 Prowler the rear diff exploded under load in 2x4. I dont think the rear axle is beefy enough for the power the engine has when pulling a load in 2x4. The 1000 CC engine in low range puts out way too much torque for that diff design. The side walls of the alloy case of the diff are super thin. Like 1/8 in. Anyone have any insight to a beefier diff to be using that is reasonable bolt in? I can weld if needed to add mounts.
WOW that's a new one on me , I have near 6k miles and many of them heavy load miles and pulling my off road trailer loaded to the gills on long outings .. several in the 500 mile plus excursion rides on wilderness terrain .

never heard of that happening sorry it got you ... you might give a call to some of the offload race teams and see what they have come up with again sorry none come to mind right now [teams] maybe some one will chime in with team names

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post a pic of it broke in 2 and you will cringe at the thickness of the alloy diff case sidewall that has to hold the massing torque of this power-train. Put it in LOW and it multiples massively too. My 4x4 was intermittently dropping out come to find out as the switch is flaky. So thinking it was splitting the power to front was not the case and would drop out of 4x4. In any case, be careful throttling down with a loaded trailer in 4x4 low.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
thinking the switch and maybe the pin together ???

been down some eye popping grades and back up the other side pulling heavy ... yours and the other thread just re-posted are the first and now second ones I am aware of SORRY yours was a "test dummy" .. it will be fairly expensive I'm sure for the repairs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, ended up the 4x4 switch was not working and pulling a heavy load in low range allowed the 1000 torque to explode the rear diff. In any case, I looked at the diesel Polaris Ranger the maint guys have here at work today. They have a massive rear diff compared to the Prowler 1000. I will prob just get a complete new diff.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Now that is a grenaded part!

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
I kept thinking about this! Reminds me of a 4X4 F-250 that had a rear end explode! Turns out they had two different gear ratios in the front and rear. The rear end was a Ford 9 ", and I've always considered them to be tough! The pinion was spit out, and the case was split in two. A guy bought the truck with the front driveshaft in the bed, he installed it and decided to try 4 wheel drive! The rest is history! Never mix gear ratio's, or tire sizes!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've seen that a couple times with pick-ups as well. Same cause. WOW that looks terrible. What a way to end a day. Something kinda similar happened to me last year, only the bubble gum weld to mount the rear diff pulled off while in 2x4 throwing the driveshaft and smashing everything. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay, I gotta ask... How much weight were you pulling? Or trying to pull...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, maybe look into the diff used on the new HDX Crew. I know they had to redo the hubs for the extra load. Maybe the rear diff was beefed up as well.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Wonder what gear ratio is in the crew?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Reactions: de3

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
He should get a trophy! LOL