Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new machine for me. 2009 Prowler 1000 xtz . Question on fuel Pump. When you turn the key on the fuel pump will run for like 3 sec and stop. Remove fuel line and pumps fuel out for the 3 sec and stops and will not come on again. Turn off and back on and will pump again for 3 sec. Machine will not start on its own. I can put fuel in the intake and will fire up. Is there a relay the makes the fuel pump work? Or maybe the fuel pump is bad ?
700 miles is all on machine.
would like some help on this

·
Registered
254 Posts
odd issue for sure. when it shuts off after you take your pump line off, is there still 12 volts going to the pump?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think it uses a crank signal to re-fire the pump so if you roll it over or something, the wire goes from the relay to the ECU

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
That is a hard one to figure! Looking at a wiring diagram shows where the wires run, but little else. Pump cycles normally to maintain 43psi, the only component that would control the pump is the ECM, if the fuse is blown the relay won't work. Try switching the relays as they will interchange. Just an FYI, from what I understand ECM failures are rare.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
odd issue for sure. when it shuts off after you take your pump line off, is there still 12 volts going to the pump?
I checked the voltage like you suggested and when I turn the key on I have 12 volts for about 3 sec and then no voltage

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
So I understand that you have 12 volts at the pump, and then the voltage is gone? Is the pump disconnected electrically when you try it? Some pumps are thermal protected and will shutdown if the values are exceeded. With the pump disconnected you should see a constant 12 volts as long as the key is on. It should not drop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pump is disconnected and I only have 12 volts for 3 sec and then shuts off. would this be a relay? I would think it would have a constant 12 volts and the pump would shut off with the 43 psi of pressure and come back on when gets low pressure but the voltage just goes away after the key is turned on after 3 sec

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok a little more information. I removed the fuel pump to check it out and everything looks good so hooked up to 12 volt and the pump keeps running like it should. so something is shutting of the voltage to the pump after 3 sec

·
Registered
812 Posts
The computer controls the fuel pump, Test your stater for a tach signal output or the tilt sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK just a up date on my machine. well still can not get it to start. I replaced fuel pump because it was weak on pressure. still will not start. I replaced the role over sensor and still will not run. reset the ECU and still wont start. I took it to a shop ( don't have a dealer close) and they cant find the problem. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
812 Posts
You only need 3 thongs to make an engine run:
1- Compression
2- Fuel (are your plugs wet or dry)
3- Spark ( can you see a good spark)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts