Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a 2010 Prowler 1000 XTZ EFI that I bought. It had engine issues so I sent it to PSN (Powersportsnation) and they rebuilt it and tested. I installed it and I could not get it to start. It grinds but will not turn over. It sounds like it wants to. I have replaced the spark plugs twice, cleaned the fuel injectors, I do have a spark on both plugs and it is getting gas thru the injectors. I cleaned the throttle body and I did have to adjust the TBS. The battery was 11.9 VDC so I did hookup my battery booster (that had 12.3 VDC) to it and tried but it just will not start. Any suggestions???
Thanks!
Bob

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
Can further explain the grinding noise? While turning it over, what voltage do you have at the starter motor? You will need 10.5 volts while cranking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. My computer crashed and I had to get a new one. Anyhow I found out what was wrong with my engine. They had put the cams in the wrong heads. They had them reversed!!! So, I had to reverse the cams, set the timing to get it running! I had it out and after an hour of running I had it sitting 5 hours then when I went to start it nothing! The starter solenoid clicked, I had 11.2 vdc at the starter but it would not do anything else! I trailered it back to the house and replaced the starter with an aftermarket one, replaced the solenoid and the voltage regulator. It did display VOLT on the display. I checked the faults and everything was good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, after putting 200 miles on it I had it out and went to turn it off and the engine stopped but the starter kept on going so I turned the key on, engine started and I went home (about 1/4 mile). After pulling into the garage I turned the key off and the starter kept going. I left it running and I tried to stop it by unplugging the ECM plugs but it didn't do anything. I did notice VOLT again and the speedometer needle kept going up and down and EFI came on also. I did unhook the battery and it finally stopped. There was the ole burnt smell and after it cooled down I removed the starter and it was cooked! I tried to see if the starter solenoid would click and it wouldn't so I installed my old voltage regulator and old solenoid back on and it did click and I had 12.3 vdc on the output wire to the starter. I ordered a new OEM starter and I am waiting for that to come in. Any suggestions on what else to try so it doesn't burn up the new starter?

·
Administrator
7,281 Posts
The sweeping of the speedometer needle happens when there is a code, completely normal. Check to make sure the solenoid drops out when you turn the key off, and you should be fine. Well at least you know they did work on your motor at PSN! LOL Glad you got it running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts