Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had several left over gages from a car project that I installed in my Prowler. 1) Water Temp (highly recommended!) 2) Volt Gage (highly Recommended) 3) Oil Temp (optional depending on owner) 4) Oil Pressure (Caution on this one!) I used a 0-100 psi gage, and had 50 - 65 psi oil pressure on start up! Sounds good, Right! The 700 motor does not have much oil pressure, the specs call for 10-20 psi at 2,500 rpm! High oil pressure (anything above 20) may indicate a plugged oil passage, or an incorrect oil filter! Mine was high due to using a full shank stud instead of the factory bolt! I bet I chased oil issues all over the place! Thought about how I could increase oil pressure, putting a solid plug in the oil relief valve and so on! These are things I did on my drag car! It don't apply on a 700! I now kinda ignore the OP gage! Looking for a new electric gage that is from 0-35 psi. I rely more on my idiot light than the gage! Just some thought about what gages to run if any! Low oil pressure is from 1) low oil level, 2) oil leak, 3) seal leaking ( the clutch seal comes to mind for me! Higher than normal oil pressure could damage the seal!). This is just my thoughts!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More: They are two oil ports under the oil filter on the 650/700/1000, the lower port is a direct passage off the oil pump and will provide pump pressure before going to any other areas of the motor. The upper port reads pressure after the oil is sent to the main gallery. The main gallery distributes oil to the A) top end, and B) the bearing that the clutch hub is mounted on in the inner clutch housing. AC specifies 10-20 psi at 2,500 rpm. Anything lower may indicate clearances are to wide (cam shaft area), worn oil pump, or a seal leaking (clutch area). Again I was chasing oil pressure as a sign of a healthy motor! The lower port will provide a higher number, but really only tells you pump condition. I'm back to just the idiot light with a 6 psi switch and the light will flicker when hot at idle, so I'm at least showing 5-6 psi at idle!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just another tidbit of something I ran across! I have several 700 cases in my shop, and the last one I got came without the oil cooler fittings. AC uses the same engine case in several different models, some with, and some without the oil cooler. When the oil cooler is used, they install a plug in the filter boss to force oil through the cooler. To use the case without the cooler the plug is removed! I'm sure the 650 case is set up the same!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got my wiring and gauge issues resolved! I went with a direct read oil pressure gauge that screws into my oil pressure idiot light. Only use it to confirm minimum oil pressure anyway (10-20 psi at 2,500 rpm). I'm showing 35 psi with warm oil. The gauge is made for commercial welding units, and it is liquid filled to absorb vibration. Happy, Happy, Happy!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts