Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started out with a brand new prowler 700. Coming down a grade I hit the brakes too hard and it went end over end 4.5 times landing on it's side facing uphill. The cages are amazing, but I feel that manufacturers are slow to implement the most important piece of safety equipment other than seatbelts, and that is the passenger handlebar. So here are some before and after pictures, and in the next few days I will post up some of the stuff I have done to it. I am not a big fan of attached pictures so after I am able to I will likely edit the posts to embed the pics instead. I already have them resized on that end so they aren't too harsh.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
looks like you put a real hurt on that bad boy .. looking forward to seeing the pic's as the work was done !

looks nice now for sure

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I had been using it lightly for the past few years, and decided to do a quick donut and the axle snapped off at the hub. This is the side that wasn't twisted up from the crash, but my friend did pack out a moose with it, and I packed out a Bear and some deer, so maybe the weight did it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Decided that since it was waiting on parts, might as well put in those harnesses I have had for a couple years now, and that requires something to mount the shoulder straps too. But first I tore down the seat pans and such and noticed that the Arch that connects the top of the frame to the V bars between the seats was very bent. So out came the portapower and I ended up having to rework the entire rear section of the cage back into square. Figured now would be better than after I welded in the harness bar. No before pics sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here I installed some tubing to connect the front and rear hoops, as well as started the passenger handlebar. I was going to do a T handle like most do, but I like this design better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the door design, simple tube and rod hinges, and reusing the buckles from the old mesh shoulder door thing a majiggies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of right now I took the cage off and finish welded it, I also welded all the seams of the existing upper section that used to bolt together. I put a quick coat of just black spray paint on the welds and reassembled as we are supposed to go on a ride this weekend. The cage and doors will come back off again in the future for sandblasting and paint. I will also be adding a vertical bar in the middle of the windshield to help support our screen windshield we will be putting in. I will be designing a bed/rear bumper/rear rollcage that will be removable on the computer.

I actually wouldn't mind cutting the entire back of the sxs off and stretching the frame to add a bit of wheelbase. Would need a new rear driveshaft... Ideas ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Looks like it's going to be built to take a beating and keep going.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
looks like some nice work man!!looks good!

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Looks great, I had similar concerns about mine and did similar modifications. The wife loves the handgrip on the passenger side, my location is about the same. Spreader barn on the rear hoop for harness attachment is something they should have added at the factory. I used 1" DOM tubing on mine with 3/16" tabs for harness mounts. It is welded at the outer hoop, and at the "V" for strength. Glad you are putting it back together. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
As of right now I took the cage off and finish welded it, I also welded all the seams of the existing upper section that used to bolt together. I put a quick coat of just black spray paint on the welds and reassembled as we are supposed to go on a ride this weekend. The cage and doors will come back off again in the future for sandblasting and paint. I will also be adding a vertical bar in the middle of the windshield to help support our screen windshield we will be putting in. I will be designing a bed/rear bumper/rear rollcage that will be removable on the computer.

I actually wouldn't mind cutting the entire back of the sxs off and stretching the frame to add a bit of wheelbase. Would need a new rear driveshaft... Ideas ideas.
Great work,its gonna look great when you finish.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great, I had similar concerns about mine and did similar modifications. The wife loves the handgrip on the passenger side, my location is about the same. Spreader barn on the rear hoop for harness attachment is something they should have added at the factory. I used 1" DOM tubing on mine with 3/16" tabs for harness mounts. It is welded at the outer hoop, and at the "V" for strength. Glad you are putting it back together. Stay safe.
Yea I also tied into the visor. I had to use stand offs since my harness bar bends away from the main cage to clear the snorkel. Pretty confident that it isn't going anywhere if something happens.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
I have an older square tube model, simplifies welding bars in, no fish mouthing!. I ran intrusion bars across the windshield opening plus a set of vertical bars. I set it back so the factory glass windshield still fits!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a notcher so had to hand grind each tube to fit. Some required about of extra wild fill lol.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
That is a ***** to do!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you ain't kidding, but I got the hang of it. When I was younger I worked as a welders helper building service rigs and equipment for a summer, so no stranger to a grinder!

Anyone stretch one of these? Very seriously considering adding a foot or so to the rear frame to move the rear axle back. Will also allow me to have a bit longer bed without hanging too far behind the rear axle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts