Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Prowler case leaks What oil are you running?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  goonski 
Great Post, this seems to be a big issue.

I bought my prowler used with 730 miles on it. After a month I blew the drive belt. When I replaced the drive belt I also found the rollers in the primary clutch with flat spots, so I replaced them also. while doing this work there was no indication of an oil leak. After putting it back together I did an oil change. The dealer recommended using Maxima 50/50 syn blend so I did. After about 12hrs on the new belt I removed the cover to inspect everything and noticed an oil leak. I then dissassembled and replaced the o-ring and both shaft seals. At this point I did another oil changed and read the manual, which does not recommend syn for 2006 it calls for SAE 10W40. Which they changed to an all weather syn for the newer machines. Basically I think by changing to syn I caused my oil leak, because the seals looked good and showed no damage. The old saying is if it came with syn then used it but if it did not come with it don't use it.

Well after 25miles/ 4hrs on the new seals I finally did my follow up inspection. Everything looks good and the leak is gone. After the seal replacement I service the engine oil with the OEM 10W40 non syn Arctic Cat oil, which is what the manual calls for. Time for a dune trip. Yahoo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.