Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Prowler case leaks What oil are you running?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  goonski 
#1 ·
OK, let’s see if we all can get together and find out what is causing this oil leak in the CVT case with the prowlers.

Is it bad seals? Is it the type of oil you use (synthetic)? something else or a combination!

I’m trying to get a thread stated with everyone who has or has had an oil leak in their CVT case and what type of oil are you running. I’m not really fishing for the brand of oil (I don’t want to bad mouth any particular brand) but more if you’re running synthetic or not.

I just had a long talk with my Oil rep, who has forgotten more about oil than most people know and here is what I understand from the conversation.

Synthetic hydrocarbon oils contain an additive that causes SEAL SWELL to prevent oil leakage from happening. Each brand of synthetic oil has different additives in their oil to address seal leakage. The correct amount of swell is a tricky issue, to much swell and you wear out the seal fast, to little swell and you have a leak.

There are 5 groups of oil:

Group 1 and 2 are regular petroleum hydrocarbon oil.

Group 3 and above is where synthetic oils come into play. Group3 and above are synthetic petroleum with synthetic additives Poly Alpha Olefin (PAO)

Group 4 and 5 are your high end synthetic oils, Synthetic hydrocarbons (man made) with Poly Ol Ester (POL) additives.

All this means is that each oil brand has it’s own secret sauce to prevent oil seal leakage or Seal Swell.

If we can find out who has leaks and what oil their running maybe we can make a correlation between the two and see if certain types of synthetic oils may in fact be contributing to leaks or not.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.