Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys got a quick question. I'm getting by clutch housing back today from having the shaft seal replaced. My question is, is it ok to start my engine with the clutch cover off? I'm pretty sure it is but just want to make sure. After I get everything installed ( housing, clutches, and belt) it would be nice to make sure its not blowing oil into the belt housing before I put the cover on.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm no expert but as far as I know as long as you don't put any load on the transmission (drive it anywhere) then you will be fine. When I put my clutches and belt all together I always start it in neutral and let idle and even give it a quick shot of gas or two to make sure the belt is seated properly and everything is in order. Others may know more than me but thats what I do.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... That's what I was thinking about doing. Ive had so much apart I hate to just slap everything on and take off. I wouldn't know if something is wrong until its not moving and blowing black smoke! And I think the service manual says to put red locktite on the clutch nuts. Do you do that? Cause there wasn't any on it when I took them off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes it well be ok to start, just do not drive because not having the cover on will bend your output shaft since its not supported by the bearing in the cover, and do make sure to use red locktite and torque the nut as tight as you can, its something retarded like 212lbs

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet... I appreciate the help as always!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yup for sure, on the red locktite. I use my impact gun to get it good and tight. Something to remember with the locktite is to just put it on the threads of the nut. It makes it a mess to get off if you have too much around the nut where it doesn't need to be.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
yes you can let it idle, dont drive it.let me know how your gauges worked.:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
you had clutch work done to ,didnt you.........................

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep got my clutches back from papa slap and my clutch housing back from the dealer repairing it. Now still can't do crap because of that oil drain plug stripping out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts