Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and girls i have/had a 2011 xtz 1000 with 440-450 km's on it. it had a fire issue,so heads up and just make sure you check your machines.ride safe.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
hey guys and girls i have/had a 2011 xtz 1000 with 440-450 km's on it. it had a fire issue,so heads up and just make sure you check your machines.ride safe.
Hi did you leave the EBrake on?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Hit a landmine or something? Elaborate please!
guess it's like TV news .... a teaser first

dude when ya make a statement like that "check your machines" .. ok for what

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Cracked fuel line, ruptured fuel cell? Inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Impossible to explode.

Will not explain him self???????

Just here to start crap?

I think he's trying to figure out how his story should end b4 he posts again!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
no,it wasn't a fire it exploded

Sounds like bull to me until I hear more..... Sorry to be so abrupt on calling you out, but you haven't given us any real info//

That's kind of like saying, "Don't breathe, you'll die"... might have some truth, but no speciifics or details...

Elaborate or get the hell out... :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys i don't know what happened.my wife and our 2 boys decided to go for a ride after dinner.one son is 7 with a raptor 50 and one is 9 with a grizzly 80.we went into a nice trail but the boys were getting stuck so we turned around.we live in the country and drove down the gravel road.i was doing about 40-45kmh(30 ish mph).as we came up on the trail we were going to take i turned the machine about 40 degrees to the right and stopped on the road to check /wait for my boys.my prowler stalled out.i restarted it and turned and looked over my right shoulder.my wife yelled my name and before i got turned around there was a loud boom and we were engulfed in flames.i could not see her through the flames.she screamed my name and i figured she could not get unbuckled.i reached through the flames and felt where she was and found her seat belt released it and shoved her out.i screamed for her to get to the ditch and drop.i had myself out and padded out the fire on my jacket and saw my wife was still on fire.i grabbed her and got her down in the ditch where there was water and she rolled around.i grabbed her and the boys and ran about 3 telephone pole lengths away.by thus time some guys in a truck stopped and called 911. the ambulance took her to the hospital to check her for burns and treat her for shock.she was wearing a thick wool jacket that is now burned,that being said the cops and fire chirf figure that jacket and her helmet saved her.the panel where the fuel fill neck is all bent out on the bottom.the rest of the panel is straight.i think the fuel tank exploded.if that was from the heat of the fire wouldn't the whole panel be bent and distorted.my wife and i do not smoke or drink so a butt didn't start it.a few days earlier i had used the winch to drag out a couple of small trees and the code po635 came up.i called the local cat dealer and they said it was a low voltage/power steering code.the next day i went out and it started right away and there was no code.my local dealer does not want to see my machine or have anything to do with trying to help me figure out what happened.i am not trying to satrt crap i would just hate to hear of thus happening to someone else.my wife and i are DAM lucky to have gotten out of thus alive let alone a small burn on my left forearm and some burnt hair.any ideas would be greatly appreciated.my cell number is 1-250-301-5558 i have a bit of a video of the fire but cannot convert it to the computer,so if you think i am b.sing send me a text and u can see the fire for yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sounds like bull to me until I hear more..... Sorry to be so abrupt on calling you out, but you haven't given us any real info//

That's kind of like saying, "Don't breathe, you'll die"... might have some truth, but no speciifics or details...

Elaborate or get the hell out... :D
in my opinion it exploded,i posted what happened,said a moderator had to approve.any questions my cell is 1-250-301-5558 not trying to start crap.don't want anyone to go through what my wife and i did last wednesday night.cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Impossible to explode.

Will not explain him self???????

Just here to start crap?

I think he's trying to figure out how his story should end b4 he posts again!
i'm a line haul owner operator don't always have internet service!!!
as for the impossible to explode tell that to the 2 boys who watched their mom and dad almost get killed when the thing blew up and the people who come out of their houses because the boom was so dam loud!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please explain why you're statement. I don't think XTZ members care for how you started your post and leaving us with check your machines. If this is really a problem and you know what caused it, then lets hear it.

Thank you
if i had any idea what started it i would more than tell you guys. if it was something i did i would shut up and let insurance do it's thing.my machine was stock and mint there was no reason for what happened to have happened.i was hoping you guys would have some ideas.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm really interested in what happened, I spent almost 12 years in the fire service as an officer and fire/arson investigator. I've never seen a vehicle truly explode. I have seen gas tanks rupture and spill fuel which spreads fast and makes one think it exploded. Perhaps there was a backfire that allowed a flame to enter the airbox... ????

I wonder if your parking brake was dragging and caused a fire to start that got to the fuel tank. But with so little info, it's hard to understand what you said happened. Arctic Cat issued warning stickers on the older XTZs to inform the operators that the brake must be off all the way before driving. A few XTZs did catch on fire, but none exploded...

Sorry to be harsh, but all too often, someone jumps on a forum and bad mouths machines without giving info. Give us more info if you can. Post some photos that we can see, your avatar photo is wayyyyy too small to see anything of detail. And let us know what the investigators say, they should have a preliminary report after several days, at least stating where the fire originated.

Sorry for your loss....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys i put pics on my profile and there is a vid on youtube that a bystander shot. doesn 't show the ignition but you can see how intense the fire was.keep checking the post as i described everything that happened last night and it said it has to be approved by someone for posting

·
Registered
812 Posts
I am thinking about how cherry hot the exhaust systems get on these things and there had to be a flammable vapor hanging in there some where to go bang, like the fuel vent ot line leaking. We all know well these units are put tohether missing nuts, bolts, brackets , leaking lines ect.....

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I've been in the Fire/EMS service for almost 30 years and responded to many vehicle fires and MVA's (MVC"s proper term now) never seen one explode, even when fully involved. We're more concerned about bumpers, hood struts, air bags, hybrid, natural/propane fueled vehicles.

Just a thought, fuel vapors is what would cause an explosive condition. If there was a fuel leak that may have pooled on the fuel tank or skid plate it's very possible that it could have been ignited causing a large fireball giving the "explosive" effect. We've all seen videos of fools trying to start bon fires using straight gas and being engulfed in flames. Just a thought, only the people who witness the event and the investigators know the complete story.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've been in the Fire/EMS service for almost 30 years and responded to many vehicle fires and MVA's (MVC"s proper term now) never seen one explode, even when fully involved. We're more concerned about bumpers, hood struts, air bags, hybrid, natural/propane fueled vehicles.

Just a thought, fuel vapors is what would cause an explosive condition. If there was a fuel leak that may have pooled on the fuel tank or skid plate it's very possible that it could have been ignited causing a large fireball giving the "explosive" effect. We've all seen videos of fools trying to start bon fires using straight gas and being engulfed in flames. Just a thought, only the people who witness the event and the investigators know the complete story.
That's what I thought too. Spent many years as a Fire/Arson Investigator and trained as a BATF Explosives Investigator, never have I seen a true explosion in a vehicle fire other than tires or bumper shocks, etc.
I would bet that there was a fuel leak in the engine compartment, as I was told that this XTZ almost died then revved back up. That would indicate to me that the fuel pressure dropped severely, probably due to a leak, either a line leaking or fitting leaking, then the fuel pump and regulator tried to build the pressure back up, causing the engine to rev back up as it again had fuel. But all the while, leaking fuel into the engine compartment, allowing a build up of fuel vapors and liquid that could ignite suddenly. Keep in mind, gasoline has a very high speed burn spread rate with a large release of energy, that to many, appears to be an explosion.

As I mention via private messaging with Knox, we don't know the previous owner's service record for this machine, or any shop work done. It's possible that something caused a fuel line leak, either at a fitting or a fuel line was placed wrong and burned thru from the exhaust.

But keep in mind, this is not a common occurance, I've never heard of a fire in an XTZ such as this. It more than likely was caused by something after the fact of manufacturing...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts