Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All! My 550 flat bed died on me the other day, it wont turn over any more starter just makes a momentary click so I pulled it out and hooked power to it and it spins and feels good and solid so I thought the engine maybe was seized i took the belt cover off, the primary spins but nothing on the other side of the motor spins the piston and valves dont move either? Is the crank directly connected to the primary? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No the primary is not directly connected it has the wet clutch behind it and will spin freely without moving your crank.

It has been too long to remember how my pull starter was hooked up on my old 650.

Pull the stator cover and see if there is a nut you can put a wrench on.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hi omilon,was your prowler running when it quit,or would it just not start back up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS FOR THE WET CLUTCH INFO...I am going to check thaT right now to see if it SPINS free, IT WAS RUNNING THEN IT DIED AS I WAS WINCHING then made a bit of a knock when I tried to jump start it but will not turn over?? Cheers...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The winches suck the life out of the battery BIG TIME.

Put a charger on it for a while then jump it.

Sounds like that may be your problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a brand new 680 odessy I will try to charge it, but when I hook the booster to it directly it wont even turn over could it be the starter? when I spin the stator nut it not very smooth!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Its a brand new 680 odessy I will try to charge it, but when I hook the booster to it directly it wont even turn over could it be the starter? when I spin the stator nut it not very smooth!
Just a guess check valve adjustment.If you rule out everything else

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
+1 it is not locked up.

How much effort did it take to turn the nut?
Is it tight all the way through or only on compression stroke?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
+1 it is not locked up.

How much effort did it take to turn the nut?
Is it tight all the way through or only on compression stroke?
Im sorry but if the valves arent adjusted correctly the auto compression release wont work and it will be hard to turn. Ok lets get past this correcting each other and move on lets agree to disagree.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it fairly hard to turn and you can feel the compression which it gets a little harder,I have nerver adjusted the valves So i will do that tommorow thanks again....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
yeah it fairly hard to turn and you can feel the compression which it gets a little harder,I have nerver adjusted the valves So i will do that tommorow thanks again....
I hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
its just really weird it was running fine and just quit.broken cam maybe????????????????????????????.running winch should'nt kill it unless battery is very weak ,which battery is new. he did here a noise.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I could be off track who knows?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Hello All! My 550 flat bed died on me the other day, it wont turn over any more starter just makes a momentary click so I pulled it out and hooked power to it and it spins and feels good and solid so I thought the engine maybe was seized i took the belt cover off, the primary spins but nothing on the other side of the motor spins the piston and valves dont move either? Is the crank directly connected to the primary? Thanks in advance....
Hello Omilon,

My name is Seth,
First of all welcome to the Prowler family. I have read your post and all the replys to it. I am confused some! Can we start from the start.

If I understand you correctly, you were winching and the Prowler died?
Then the starter just clicked? So if it was working fine before and you used your winch a lot I would point fingers at your battery. A winch can use a lot of battery power and you may of over ran the stator. Low voltage and the ECM may not fire the injectors.

So you removed the valve cover and the valves don't move?
So when you say nothing on the other side spins what do you mean? what are you turning? If you spin the primary clutch by hand it will free wheel in one dirction because of the one way bearing and the othe way you will attempt to turn the motor over.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Seth, Thanks for the intrest! OK so I was stuck and was winching out and it stalled so I started it it stalled for good. Tried to jump start it and it made a (Ka tunk) lol. So I towed it home, Put the booster directly to the starter and still would not turn it over! I have now learned there is a wet clutch as well so you can spin the primary till your heart is content! Thanks to the guys in forum...So I pulled the stator cover off put wrench on it and I could turn it over and it seemed to be a little rough at first, but now feels smooth So I pulled the starter disected it and it was a bit nasty,so I ordered a new one (ouch) It will be here friday. In the mean time I will adjust the valves, and keep my fingers crossed that is my issue...thanks again...Hope that makes more cents, Has and one had a starter failure?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hi omilon i hope that is all it is,i have never had the starter to quit,in the winter it will make a funny noise sometimes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I did not yet, I will soon! I need to borrow one. But when I hooked the booster up same thing? 1000 amp Stanley auto booster....Cheers. It seems alittle tight when I spin the stator nut, everything seems to be moving ( valves and piston) seems to be after comp stroke almost like the internal wet clutch is grabbing a bit? Is that possible? starter may not be here till mon....So cant do much till then. The suspence is killig me,and its 27C outside Bad Timing You blink and summers gone up here!!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts