Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a prowler 1000 and at idle it is making an awful screeching noise that goes away as son as you bring it off idle when in neutral. When put in gear it stalls right away? Is this a One way problem? Or is the problem further in the wet clutch? He did put a new one way in but it was still doing it. So he tore it apart again and found galling on the housing where the bearing sits. Is this his problem or is there something else going on ? The original bearing didn't look that bad but it did have some flat spots.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
My buddy has a prowler 1000 and at idle it is making an awful screeching noise that goes away as son as you bring it off idle when in neutral. When put in gear it stalls right away? Is this a One way problem? Or is the problem further in the wet clutch? He did put a new one way in but it was still doing it. So he tore it apart again and found galling on the housing where the bearing sits. Is this his problem or is there something else going on ? The original bearing didn't look that bad but it did have some flat spots.

Thanks
Make sure he is putting the dot on the one way bearing facing towards him.:)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Take the one way off and try the machine without it, at least that will eliminate the bearing as being the cause. Stalling when put in gear at idle makes me think the wet clutch is engaging. Maybe a broken spring on the clutch. I'd start there.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Take the one way off and try the machine without it, at least that will eliminate the bearing as being the cause. Stalling when put in gear at idle makes me think the wet clutch is engaging. Maybe a broken spring on the clutch. I'd start there.
I second that.........................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys the one way was in the right way . I will have him check for a broken spring.

What would cause this problem to start? He did blow a belt at high speed about a month or so ago but has had a couple of hundred KM's on it since.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
With all the heat in the clutch system (wet & dry) it is amazing that they hold up as well as they do!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys how's it going ? I'm lost !!!! My cat is still down. I had blown a belt a while back and replaced it with oem. Then while out riding there was lots of smoke and belt was slipping real bad. . So l took it apart again and replaced both seals and put new belt in again! ! Now I know I put everything together right but now I'm getting a loud kinda clanking noise in the housing! ! Not constant but enough to make me worried !!!!! I'm so lost now . I can't figure out what it is would anyone here now what it could be ??

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Sounds like the nut on the fixed plate came off. They tend to fail after several tightening's, and usually when it fails/comes loose it takes the splines out of the fixed plate. I'd start there.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
When you compressed the secondary to change the belt, did it release when you installed the new belt? I've had mine get stubborn at times! But these things are really noisy in the clutch department. Is there any sign of metal flakes inside the cover, if not, and it is working correctly try different speeds/loads and see if any are better or worse.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Could it be the rollers in the primary going bad ? It sounds like something is loose in side..
Must of the time the rollers will get flat spots from heat,when I replaced mine they were all flat spotted,but they never made any noise,have you looked at your wet clutch springs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey guys how's it going ? I'm lost !!!! My cat is still down. I had blown a belt a while back and replaced it with oem. Then while out riding there was lots of smoke and belt was slipping real bad. . So l took it apart again and replaced both seals and put new belt in again! ! Now I know I put everything together right but now I'm getting a loud kinda clanking noise in the housing! ! Not constant but enough to make me worried !!!!! I'm so lost now . I can't figure out what it is would anyone here now what it could be ??
Something similar happened to me. After tearing cover off several times, realized that pieces of my old broken belt were falling back into clutch through the clutch exhaust duct. I would check both intake and exhaust ducts for old belt pieces.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Something similar happened to me. After tearing cover off several times, realized that pieces of my old broken belt were falling back into clutch through the clutch exhaust duct. I would check both intake and exhaust ducts for old belt pieces.
good info......................:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts