Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A problem on my Prowler last couple of times i have riding it. In low/medium/high speeds it sometimes fails for a second. It never stops (yet!), but when this appears all power is gone. Just for a second. It seems that the problem is getting smaller as the engine is completely hot. It starts and idles normal.

First time this problem appears. My first thougts is that it does not get enough fuel when this happen.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
Any water in the gas tank?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, just dont understand how and when water could have come to the tank. Its stored under roof, and I never do "mudding" or something like that. Might have been a slightly rain last time I filled the tank with gas. Do one or two drips of water cause "bad running"?

After todays ride I can say cold engine and low rpm is bad. I do need to push the pedal way down in neutural so It want stall. When its warm its okay, but There are still some slight "bad running" at high rpm.

Dont know if I do myself understood. Hope so!

Johan - Norway

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Wonder is something is f'ed up in the electric choke? Runs like crap when cold, good when warm to hot? Maybe start with the basics, new spark plug, fresh or clean air filter. Sounds like carburation, to me. You really need to move to Iowa, so we can do some wrenching!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Here's a few things that's in the trouble shooting part of the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder is something is f'ed up in the electric choke? Runs like crap when cold, good when warm to hot? Maybe start with the basics, new spark plug, fresh or clean air filter. Sounds like carburation, to me. You really need to move to Iowa, so we can do some wrenching!
Not perfect when warm - then it fails at high rpm. A little..

Def.not the el.choke.
Changed spark plug and drained the float chamber today.
All basics are good.

I do also think carburation.
When this **** appears its like not enough fuel goes through the system.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
One problem these have been know to have is the rubber intake boot will crack at the nipple with the small hose connects, could it be sucking too much air?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a few things that's in the trouble shooting part of the manual.
Yup. I do have read it. Just dont know whats the next step for me.

Should I remove the carb from the car and "clean it"? If so, is there a way "for dummies" to explain how to clean a carb? Please let me know :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One problem these have been know to have is the rubber intake boot will crack at the nipple with the small hose connects, could it be sucking too much air?
Too much air do fit the symptoms of how it runs. "False air" (in norwegian).
Explain, or a pic, of : "rubber intake boot .. nipple". Dont know where you mean

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I think the first thing I would do is to add some Seafoam or some other carb cleaner through it and see if that helps any. Hopefully it's just a little gunk built up in the carb that the cleaner can dissolve.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Too much air do fit the symptoms of how it runs. "False air" (in norwegian).
Explain, or a pic, of : "rubber intake boot .. nipple". Dont know where you mean
I found an old pic but I should have one showing the crack I had. This is the boot that's between the carb and the engine, mine cracked where the arrow is pointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a newer machine and I've found that they run like crap at idle and hard start if there are ANY voltage problems. check the battery cables and grounds. Even the carbureted engines use a CDI module and they are voltage sensitive. FWIW, Mark

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
This probably isn't a fix for yours, but I just added some Mercury Marine fuel conditioner/engine combustion chamber cleaner to the Prowlers tank yesterday, just for the hell of it. I had it laying around and since I have no boats right now, I thought I would use some up. Big difference idling! Always had a partial miss at idle then ran fine off idle, since I bought it 3 years ago. I figured that's how it was designed. Its as smooth as can be now. Should have poured some in a long time ago.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats good, Bryan!

Let you know what (if any) this product do to my prowler in a couple of days.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now my carburator is removed from the car.

After some riding in the weekend it got worse everytime. When cold its hard to idle. And it strugles to rise in rpm. When warm everyting is better, but it somethimes also dies idling warm. Also lost about 10km/h top speed.

I hope its the carb ( since its already removed..). Any good tips how to clean it? Or what to look for if anything is broken? This is the first time I have a carburator in my hands...!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone know the inside diameter for the fuel line hoses?

Going to get the fuelsystem as new and clean as possible!

·
Administrator
7,298 Posts
1/4 inch ID (.250)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts