Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , I have found an new week link in our prowlers. Went to Superlift's UTV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas over the weekend.Lots of rough stuff, gravel, large rock and real challenging trails.I have just gotten the new Unisteer, rack -zilla and Electra-steer installed on my 09 XTZ. Really liked it,except for a malfunction on the mounting bracket for the rack. First the bolts came loose on the bracket that let the rack move, that got steering messed up. That could have been from unisteer not tightening the bolts when they installed, but i have not talked to them yet so i will wait to make that determination.Altough they did not have any lock washers on them. We got new bolts and installed. We noticed that bracket was not very strong and entire rack gave a little under pressure from power steering. On Saturday evening the bracket totally gave way and buckled causing the rack tobow up. 6 oclock and saturday in the woods broke down is not good.Thanks to the good sense of my son, Shane , and another good mechanic, Jeff we got the rack bracket ratchet strapped down good enough to limp in to camp. The entire bracket is about the thickness of a good license plate, very thin. Tomorrow i will call unisteer and AC to see if they have encountered any problems with this. I will keep you all informed on what the fix may be. BE WARE The mounting bracket for the rack and pinion is very cheesy and needs to be upgraded for strength.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be on the phone first thing in the morning to Unisteer, and Arctic Cat. Let you know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well , I have found an new week link in our prowlers. Went to Superlift's UTV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas over the weekend.Lots of rough stuff, gravel, large rock and real challenging trails.I have just gotten the new Unisteer, rack -zilla and Electra-steer installed on my 09 XTZ. Really liked it,except for a malfunction on the mounting bracket for the rack. First the bolts came loose on the bracket that let the rack move, that got steering messed up. That could have been from unisteer not tightening the bolts when they installed, but i have not talked to them yet so i will wait to make that determination.Altough they did not have any lock washers on them. We got new bolts and installed. We noticed that bracket was not very strong and entire rack gave a little under pressure from power steering. On Saturday evening the bracket totally gave way and buckled causing the rack tobow up. 6 oclock and saturday in the woods broke down is not good.Thanks to the good sense of my son, Shane , and another good mechanic, Jeff we got the rack bracket ratchet strapped down good enough to limp in to camp. The entire bracket is about the thickness of a good license plate, very thin. Tomorrow i will call unisteer and AC to see if they have encountered any problems with this. I will keep you all informed on what the fix may be. BE WARE The mounting bracket for the rack and pinion is very cheesy and needs to be upgraded for strength.
Yeah I heard that the metal plate the rack bolts to will flex and bend. A guy I met that raced some desert races pointed it out as a problem area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know the broke down on the trail feeling, I had to leave my XTZ up on the mountain this past weekend because of a broken tierod. I brought a welder up and di a trail repair to get it back to the trailer. And now Arctic Cat won't warrenty it because I welded it. So I guess I was supposed to leave it up on the mountain until I was approved for warranty, some how had a dealer mechanic go up on the mountain and install it. Mean time it would be ran sacked and stripped and of course I would be responsible for that. The mechanics at the shop just shook there heads and said I wouldn't buy another Arctic Cat. They said they have seen to many problems with them, and they ment anything UTV's ATv's, and sleds. I have had a sled and now the UTV and I had no arguement. I'm hoping to unload this pile on some poor *******. and give up on the UTV's until someone makes something worth having.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately I’ve experienced both of the challenges above. A couple months ago I snapped the tie rod and drove in reverse 6 miles (get back to the trailer)… Replaced it with a GearOne Rack and Rods… Fortunately as of yet I haven’t bent the bracket.

A few weeks later I was riding up at Lake Powell and the steering was real loose. Looked at my new rack and one of the nuts came off the bolt and the other was extremely loose. I replaced the bolts and put on lock washers but haven’t had the opportunity to give it a good run.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No because after owning a few Arctic Cat vehicles, I am sick of them using their customers as ginnie pigs. As far as money goes, I need two tie rods and one tie rod end thats about $60, I have less than 300 miles in it and had to leave it on the mountain once already, if something would have happened too it I would be out $500 for my deductable. I spent almost $1000 on my sled trying to fix the belt burning problems, and now I'm feeling like a tool for buying another A/C. Some people say the RZR is no better but after watching my buddy beat his worse than I would ever do to anything on purpose, then drive away without a single problem, and his weighs at least 300# less than mine but still holds together. That makes me think that A/C is just throwing junk out there and letting us spend the time and money to repair their short comings. Just to get this thing where it should be from the factory I'll have to have the rollers switched in the clutching (for high alttitude) replace the tie rods and tie rod ends, reinforce the rack and pinion mount. replace the rear springs with heavier duty springs, replace the glove box cover that blew off. replace the light bulbs so I can actually see at night, which will probably require a stronger alternator. And thats just the mechanical stuff the Roll cage is about as ugly as can be and the stock shocks are horrible, if you don't believe me ride in a rhino or in a Prowler that has aftermarket shocks.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I have beat the crap out of mine for almost four years now and never had a problem with the plate that the rack bolts too. My guess on that one is the steering when turned to the lock found the weakest link and started flexing it. That can happen with power steering. Not a big deal when you turn it to the lock by hand. But throw in electric over hydraulic and that plate was not designed for that kind of pressure. Who ever did the kit should have looked at that. As far as selling a vehicle because of a broke tie rod or two and losing 3000.00-4000.00 dollars you have got to be kidding me.And as far as the rzr goes we will see what his frame looks like in a year or two more of doing that. I have a good idea what it will look like because of friends that have some. I will say that if you think the others don't have their fair share of problems you are mistaken. I ride with just about all of them and there is not one of them that does not have problems. Do yourself a favor and pop into the other brand sites. You might just figure out that what you have is not all that bad.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have beat the crap out of mine for almost four years now and never had a problem with the plate that the rack bolts too. My guess on that one is the steering when turned to the lock found the weakest link and started flexing it. That can happen with power steering. Not a big deal when you turn it to the lock by hand. But throw in electric over hydraulic and that plate was not designed for that kind of pressure. Who ever did the kit should have looked at that. As far as selling a vehicle because of a broke tie rod or two and losing 3000.00-4000.00 dollars you have got to be kidding me.And as far as the rzr goes we will see what his frame looks like in a year or two more of doing that. I have a good idea what it will look like because of friends that have some. I will say that if you think the others don't have their fair share of problems you are mistaken. I ride with just about all of them and there is not one of them that does not have problems. Do yourself a favor and pop into the other brand sites. You might just figure out that what you have is not all that bad.
Its true they all have there short comings and weak links.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NO offense needspeed, but you need take a chill pill. I had a power steering and upgraded rack put on it. They were to much for the mounting bracket.S---t happens. The weak link has to be somewhere. Thats why this site is so cool. We can inform each other of the problems. And Chris is right they all break sooner or later.We beat the crap out of these things . We can only expect the breaks. I got hold of unisteer. They are going to send me a new unit. I am sennding mine in so they can inspect to see if they need to change design.The only problem i have is that mine had to be the one to inform them they needed to reinforce the bracket. oh well keep you updated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know it sounds like I need to cool down, but after fighting with a 2009 M1000, and now a 2009 XTZ, I have just had it with A/C, Sandchris, your right about losing the money and that the others have problems, I won't lose the money, I'm going to try to trade it for something else, maybe a couple four wheelers or a sled and four wheeler. The worst part is that this stuff happens and it ruins the whole day for the whole group that you are riding with, and in some situations they feel obligated to ruin the next day to go out with you and help you get your ride off the mountain. It's a quik way to get your buddies wives to not like you. Short falls I understand but short falls that leave you stranded, or in the case of the parking brake burning the machine to the ground, and potentially hurting someone. Those are where I draw the line. Onw other thing I'm on Search and Rescue, and I need a machine that is reliable so that I am not the one in need of rescue. Thats part of the reason I spent the money to get this pricey piece of equipment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I'm so Negative but close to 30 grand in A/C toys and being disappointed makes for good reason (to me) to be bitter. Maybe I should turbo and see if tha will put a smile in my face.:)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Hey we all have it like that sometimes. Believe me when I say we are on your side around here.We don't want to see you let down by your cat. But I gotta tell you as much as you have been around here you have got to have read all the post about the tie rods. I agree it should not have been a issue and AC should have addressed it. I get irritated with them and a lot and other manufactures too.And as far as the cage goes it is ugly but guess what? It is the only one that ROPS certified. And I can attest to it holding up when you go over a couple of times.
What I would like to say is that you would have helped anyone of the guys you were with if they had a similar problem. And if that is not good enough for their wifes maybe the wifes should have stayed home.:DThat is apart of riding these things.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ya my buddies wives are some peaches lol. I would have helped them for sure and my wife wouldn't have had one bad thing to say about it. Their wives didn't even go with us they just like to complain. It lookd like, I'm going to have to spend the time and money to get this ting the way I want it. I love the power and I know there is plenty more. Time to break out the welder and tubing bender:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Needspeed, I feel for what you are going through. Pretty much all of the manufacturers have problems of some sort with their machines. That's why I built my XTZ with a cage, beefed up suspension, King shocks, lowered and better seats. Yeah, it costs money for sure, but for me, part of the fun is working on them. I go out and beat the hell outta it during the weekends and then spend a couple or more evenings going through it trying to make it more bullet-proof.
Last weekend, not 2 miles into my ride, it blew a hole in the bellows for the rear diff and caught the machine on fire from diff oil dripping on the engine, no biggy, I stopped, put the fire out and repaired the hole. Since then it has a completely different set-up that won't have problems anymore. I ran another 14 hours that day and night without another problem (and ran it hard, 55mph+ in sandwashes, running fast on tight treelined trails, hillclimbs on river rock infested hills, etc)
My buddy has an 09 RZR that has had air filter problems since day one and now has tranny noises that aren't right. Time for us to put his machine in the shop and do some work on it.
I am sorry that you are having these problems, especially with AC. Hopefully you can get them sorted out or find a way to make the sport fun again.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Needspeed, I feel for what you are going through. Pretty much all of the manufacturers have problems of some sort with their machines. That's why I built my XTZ with a cage, beefed up suspension, King shocks, lowered and better seats. Yeah, it costs money for sure, but for me, part of the fun is working on them. I go out and beat the hell outta it during the weekends and then spend a couple or more evenings going through it trying to make it more bullet-proof.
Last weekend, not 2 miles into my ride, it blew a hole in the bellows for the rear diff and caught the machine on fire from diff oil dripping on the engine, no biggy, I stopped, put the fire out and repaired the hole. Since then it has a completely different set-up that won't have problems anymore. I ran another 14 hours that day and night without another problem (and ran it hard, 55mph+ in sandwashes, running fast on tight treelined trails, hillclimbs on river rock infested hills, etc)
My buddy has an 09 RZR that has had air filter problems since day one and now has tranny noises that aren't right. Time for us to put his machine in the shop and do some work on it.
I am sorry that you are having these problems, especially with AC. Hopefully you can get them sorted out or find a way to make the sport fun again.

Very Nice Reply.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I use the crap out of mine also. Like any off road machine stuff gets loose, cracked, bent, ect. Good preventive maintenance goes a long way.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 30 Posts