Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad recently purchased a 2009 prowler 700. I went with him to test drive it and check it out. The thing ran great and he bought it. He had it a couple of weeks and was driving it around his property an it quit. Won’t start at all. We have changed the fuel injector, fuel pressure regulator, spark plug, and fuel filter. It acts as though it is not getting gas. Any suggestion?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
RD is the 700 expert I'm sure he can help! What kind of pressure are you getting out of your fuel pump?

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
You need a minimum of 43 psi fuel pressure. Pull your injector out and check the spray on the injector. Did it just flat quit? Check all of the fuses under the drivers seat. This sounds like a electrical issue.

·
Registered
253 Posts
have you tried putting some (not much) gas down the spark plug hole? this verifies it runs with gas and narrows it down. if it doesnt run it gives you a new direction to look.
i made a fuel pressure gauge out of a liquid filled psi gauge from tractor supply. pretty accurate gauges if your looking for a quick way to test. i didnt want to wait. i tagged my thread with what i did and the gauge i built.

Gauge

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Have you verified that its getting a good spark from the plug? Does it sound like the motors building compression? Is it backfiring? Just trying to narrow it down to fuel, coil, timing chain ect....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?

It will start and run if you spray gas into the throttle body manually. The injector doesn’t spray any gas at all. It is new just replaced. I am not sure if there is enough fuel pressure to get gas to the injector. I guess the first thing I need to do now is check the fuel pressure somehow. What are the odds of the fuel pump going bad? Is there a better and/or a more affordable replacement than the stock fuel pump?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I remember reading about people using a fuel pump out of a Mustang. Search it if you need one.

BUT before you blow more money on parts you need to find the problem. I agree it sounds electrical.
Can you hear the pump when you turn the key to the ON position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The pump comes on and hums, but doesnt seem to move enough fuel. What about a battery that might be a little weak, could this cause this problem. It cranks fine, but who knows I'm thinking of anything. I am just tired of spending on parts.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
These things are voltage sensitive at best. No spray from the injector indicates fuel delivery. Take the fuel line off the injector and see what you get. The plastic clip can be reused if your are careful (I use a small screwdriver to remove them) if not they can be purchased at any auto part store. They are used on ford products. If you do need a fuel pump watch out for the el cheapo's on ebay. They don't make the required fuel pressure, another case of you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
253 Posts
you can try find a walbro replacement but alot of them are out of stock. your best bet if your fuel pressure doesnt meet the minimum is a factory pump. you could try a stock used pump from ebay but again, you get what you get there. i got a pump from country cat for a little less than 300 shipped but i paid extra for the two day ship. i found i didnt need a new pump the day it arrived so i have an extra on the shelf. i think of it as piece of mind. i am keeping my cat until i cant get parts anymore anyway. she is part of the family now :)

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Understand keeping the Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have pulled the fuel line from the injector and turned on the fuel pump. Kinda just bubbles out of the hose. Not really a good hard stream like I think 43lbs of pressure should be.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
Sure looks like the fuel pump! You did replace the filter from what I remember? May check it before the filter as I've seen new filters that would not pass anything! Look on the bright side, you are getting closer! Keep the faith, it will run again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have pulled the fuel line from the injector and turned on the fuel pump. Kinda just bubbles out of the hose. Not really a good hard stream like I think 43lbs of pressure should be.
Bubbles? that is what mine did after tightening the pickup line connections. it turned out the pickup line on the bottom of my pump was sucking air. pull the pump out and check the connections making sure it has enough gas above the sock at the end. i used some galvanized stove pipe wire to twist tight on the connections of my pickup tube. probably not the best stuff to use but it was a quick fix to test for leaks that turned into a permanent fix.

·
Administrator
7,221 Posts
300 + for a fuel pump sucks! Buying used is a gamble at best! Good luck on the pick up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts