Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend, my 650 Prowler began to act up. It began almost immediately after passing through a 2" deep puddle. My wife is driving and after passing through the water the machine shut off. It would restart but would not stay at idle. Eventually got it moving and I chalked it up as a wet wire. For the next 20 minutes or so, the machine continued acting up, shutting off when she stopped, and lacking power when under load.

Managed to get back to my cabin, shut the machine off and after that it would not start.

The tinkering began (in a quick effort to make it run for the long weekend here in Canada).

To make a long thread short:

1. Changed out the plug cap, it looked corroded inside the wire end, so even if it wasn't the problem I thought it best to replace.
2. Trimmed the plug end of the coil wire back just a bit to make for a clean join between the new plug cap and the coil wire.
3. Checked the coil resistance, both primary and secondary, both within spec. (spark looked inconsistent and perhaps weak when the plug was grounded to the engine)
4. Installed new plug.

Cranked over for a bit, but seems to be lacking fuel.

1. Checked to see if the pump was pumping - it was.
2. Disassembled carb and cleaned with cleaner/compressed air.

Part of me is convinced it isn't a fuel issue, i've tossed a bit of gas in with the plug out and machine still won't start.

Will do some more troubleshooting later today......wondering if its the CDI??

Anyone hazard a guess? I intend to check the valve timing to make sure it hasn't slipped a tooth or two.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. The stock CDI went out on mine earlier this year but it didn't just go from good to dead. It started backfiring a little, stuttering at high RPM's, and excessive cranking to start. It never fully died, I just upgraded the CDI and it all went away. Definetely sounds electrical to me. I think there's a thread on ArcticChat where someone outlined how to test the CDI and ohms at coil to verify ignition. Don't think this helps much..just a little input.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Daryle, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. The AC manual does have some limited test information on CDI testing, but ultimately it suggests swapping it with a known good CDI. Of course that would be simple if I had a spare!! :) I'll check that ArcticChat site and see what the test involves.

The way it behaved sort of reminded me of the way Dodge cars would go into the "limp" mode. When the Prowler stalled, you could restart it every time, but when the key was turned to off - restarting wasn't an option. I wouldn't have thought that AC would build that sort of a courtesy feature into a machine, but it sure is strange, and Dodge like. It must have stalled 6 or 8 times on the ride home, but once the key was turned off, it did nothing but turn over and over, not a sign of ignition.

Didn't get at it yesterday like I planned, but will definietely be at it today.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
let us know what you find out. my electric choke messed up while i was riding and it wouldnt idle,and wouldnt start until motor cooled down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem found

Pulled the valve cover off and checked the valve timing. Chain slipped about 2 teeth, enough to keep it from starting and enough to keep it from pulling fuel into the engine.

Checked the tensioner once the timing was reset and it is fully extended when I reinserted it (5.5 turns out - released tension and it went 5.5 full turns in).

As a minimum a new chain is in order, and new guides too, not what I wanted to have to do right now, but I guess it could be worse.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
glad you found problem,how many miles on your prowler........

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wow.. not at all what I would have expected! But great that you found the problem. It's not often a problem is solved so soon!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure on the mileage, bought the machine used and for whatever reason I can only view the trip meter :rolleyes:. I believe it shows just under 3000 on the trip, undoubtedly more on the machine though.

I suspect that the machine would restart but not idle because at that point it had slipped only one tooth. Once we made it back to the cabin, it must have slipped another tooth, throwing the valve timing off enough to prevent it from starting.

Fuel wasn't being drawn into the engine with the valve timing off, hence the reason for no fuel showing up, actually I was seeing some fuel coming out of the intake side of the carb, which is part of the reason why I suspected valve timing. In addition it seemed to be turning over with a little more ease than it normally would.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Top end looks fine otherwise. I had the engine done over a year ago now for bevel gear repairs and, in hindsight, probably should have paid the extra few bucks for the cam chain. Surprised that it's only $50. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still seeing the effects of all those pieces of bevel gear scatterred throughout the engine.

To make matters worse, after the bevel gear repair was done, as near as I can figure, the piston rings went south, burned up the crank after it ran low on oil. Riddler had set me up with an old crank, and things had been good ever since, until now.

Anyway, parts are ordered and should get it fixed next week. I'm just glad that the engine doesn't have to come out for this repair!! :)

A warning for those of you who do the bevel gear repair, don't scrounge on replacement parts and clean everything thoroughly. I replaced most bearings, flushed oil lines, including the cooler, washed everything down in cleaning solvent and compressed air, etc..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Top end looks fine otherwise. I had the engine done over a year ago now for bevel gear repairs and, in hindsight, probably should have paid the extra few bucks for the cam chain. Surprised that it's only $50. Wouldn't be surprised if I'm still seeing the effects of all those pieces of bevel gear scatterred throughout the engine.

To make matters worse, after the bevel gear repair was done, as near as I can figure, the piston rings went south, burned up the crank after it ran low on oil. Riddler had set me up with an old crank, and things had been good ever since, until now.

Anyway, parts are ordered and should get it fixed next week. I'm just glad that the engine doesn't have to come out for this repair!! :)

A warning for those of you who do the bevel gear repair, don't scrounge on replacement parts and clean everything thoroughly. I replaced most bearings, flushed oil lines, including the cooler, washed everything down in cleaning solvent and compressed air, etc..
I know all too well about the bevel gear replacement. I did mine last year. Put a lot of time and $$$ into it. Definitely don't want to have to go through that again. So far she runs good. Hope I don't run into any of the problems you have encountered. Good luck on getting everything taken care of.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
bevel gear

outwest,what all did it tear up when your bevel gear went.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
outwest,what all did it tear up when your bevel gear went.
I bought my Prowler when it was already broken, and learned real quick on how to fix it. But when the bevel gears went it also cracked the engine case and bent the through-shaft inside the motor. I was lucky to find a used set of cases from Sanny. Otherwise it was hoping that mine could be welded or new set of cases for $1000...:eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
This thread makes me a little sick to my stomache... my xt650H1 died in my yard while idling (back in June) then would not restart. I have been assuming it's my iginiton coil (power going in, not out)! But I still have my doubts and was wondering about timing.... Damn I hope it's only electrical!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
June !!!! wow get to fix'in Boy ... look at all the riding time you've lost :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
June !!!! wow get to fix'in Boy ... look at all the riding time you've lost :)
I know, had to put her low on the priority list this summer.... house reno's and complete body job for my 05 Ram came first :( But the time has come and need to get er up and runnin!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This thread makes me a little sick to my stomache... my xt650H1 died in my yard while idling (back in June) then would not restart. I have been assuming it's my iginiton coil (power going in, not out)! But I still have my doubts and was wondering about timing.... Damn I hope it's only electrical!
It very well may be simply an electrical issue. Checking the coil is fairly simple, don't have the specs in front of me, but the primary should have a resistance less than 1 ohm, and the secondary should be 4000-5000 ohms.....somewhere around there.

Best bet is to download the service manual, it's loaded with lots of helpful info.

In the meantime, my parts are in, now I just have to find the time to get back at it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It very well may be simply an electrical issue. Checking the coil is fairly simple, don't have the specs in front of me, but the primary should have a resistance less than 1 ohm, and the secondary should be 4000-5000 ohms.....somewhere around there.

Best bet is to download the service manual, it's loaded with lots of helpful info.

In the meantime, my parts are in, now I just have to find the time to get back at it.
Best of luck to ya!
On another side note, how's "Leslie" treating ya today? I hope all is well and damage kept to a minimum for ya's on the "Rock"!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, hurricane Leslie wasn't that pleasant for us.

I live in a town called Paradise, just outside of the capital city of St. John's. Another guy in Paradise wasn't so fortunate, his "under construction" shed wasn't so car friendly (see attached pic).

I escaped unscathed, but the plan to work on the side by side was put on hold yesterday, did get a day off work though!! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
a person dont think to much about mother nature until it happens to yourself,i got hit back in june,lost 13 trees.i was really lucky.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts