Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this problem accured today.. i got something from my cousins home, and went back to my place.. about 3-4km ride.. prowler was doing well.. until i got to my backyard and it died/stopped working alone...

i tried to start it but it just would not start.. with a little gas it fires up just fine, but when you leave the gas it dies again...

what can be the problem here ? spark plug seems ok.. maybe over heated ?

thanks for the answers...

btw : its 2009 PROWLER 700EFI XTX - fuel injected..

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
you will get some answers from the F/I guys just hang tight..................

·
Registered
733 Posts
Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked the fuse's on the prowler.. all good,
changed the spark plug.. didnt change a thing. i guess the old one was fine also..

i didnt see any cracks on the intake boot, but again i will someone more professional then me look at it later..

any other reasons why this could happen ? maybe fuel injector got damaged ?

i didnt feel any power loss, or anything befor it happend.. also first time i put the trailer to the prowler.. it happend just like that..

·
Registered
733 Posts
So a cracked intake boot will cause it to die?
Yeah, for some reason when the crack was closed of when my boot was cracked it would die and would not start. when i would separate the crack and let more air in it would fire right up... maybe it was the dynatek? I don't know. I think another member here had the same problem and theirs wouldn't start unless they were on the gas. They crack really bad and really mess up the air/fuel mix to the point where it'll only work with the throttle wide open. Mine was cracked so badly it looked like a few more miles on some bumpy trails and my throttle body would have just fell right off :eek:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Check the intake boot, it's the rubber boot between the throttle body and intake underneath your airbox. I can almost guarantee you that its cracked if its not the upgraded one. you'll know its the upgraded one if its got the one big metal clamp on it. the crappy ones that crack have two pipe clamps. if not, change your spark plug and make sure the fuel is good. I fouled a plug last year and it just did not want to run. new plug and it worked great.
I found mine cracked the other day when I was taking my carb off. I found the da** airbox mounting bracket was putting stress on the nipple coming off of it. So I modified my bracket to eliminate this. I didn't know they changed anything on that boot. I didn't see a new part number listed for it. But I did pick up a good used one off of eBay that does have the metal clamp on it (my original one had the two green compression clamps).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can someone lead me to what ur calling cracked ?
where is it exacly i think i looked on the wrong thing..

(english isnt my first or second language sry.. my understanding is still limited.. leading me by pic will but veryhelpfull if possible.. thanks)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
can someone lead me to what ur calling cracked ?
where is it exacly i think i looked on the wrong thing..

(english isnt my first or second language sry.. my understanding is still limited.. leading me by pic will but veryhelpfull if possible.. thanks)
This is the boot that we are talking about. It is the boot that goes between the carburetor and the cylinder head. You can see the crack on the nipple coming off. That is the location where the vacuum comes from to activate the vacuum fuel pump on the models with carburetors. I modified my airbox mounting bracket so it would clear both this location better and so I could run the crankcase vent hose up through the bracket as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the boot that we are talking about. It is the boot that goes between the carburetor and the cylinder head. You can see the crack on the nipple coming off. That is the location where the vacuum comes from to activate the vacuum fuel pump on the models with carburetors. I modified my airbox mounting bracket so it would clear both this location better and so could run the crankcase vent hose up through the bracket as well.
u said that part goes between the carburetor and the cylinder head, but mine is fuel injected, is there a diffrence ? i looked at the manual mlh1962 posted and found the intake boot and checked it out, no crackes were found.

i guess my bad luck just keeps getting worse and worse.. i took the prowler to the garage to get fixed.. and it just died after i tried to start it twice.. not even with pushing the gas padel all the way..

i hope its not anything serious.. any guess now ? btw the prowler is mine only a month(and already broken.. yepee mee..), and done only 150 hours.. any guesses now ??

·
Registered
733 Posts
Drain the fuel and put new in.. sounds like you got some bad fuel maybe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hope that is the case.. the gas sation near our town is known for its bad fuel.. i heard couple of times they mix it with a little water (if i remember it right).. wil try that later on after work.

if anyone has expriced anything like this, i will be glad if you share also what was the solution.. i dont want to open the engine for nothing. i am also searching the web for any option and checking them also.. bad luck bryan me... :p

btw thanks for all the commenters and helpers so far @:)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
alipash,hang in there dude, we all have some kind of prowler problems.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
That photo looks familiar, here's mine it the carb model also.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
mlh 1962,i think his is F/I his probably dont have that nipple to pull pressure for the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
i hope that is the case.. the gas sation near our town is known for its bad fuel.. i heard couple of times they mix it with a little water (if i remember it right).. wil try that later on after work.

if anyone has expriced anything like this, i will be glad if you share also what was the solution.. i dont want to open the engine for nothing. i am also searching the web for any option and checking them also.. bad luck bryan me... :p

Had a friend see me at one of our local stations and said "I'm surprised your Prowler will run with that gas." He has a 4-wheeler and said he filled there twice and both times he had to drain the tank because it wouldn't start, refilled at another station and it fired right up. So it's worth a try, good luck!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

Draining the fuel tank is a good idea, but I'm not sure how hard of a task that is. As a quick test you can purchase a bottle of HEAT (I think they call it) at your local Walmart, gas station, or automotive place and pour it in. If there is water in the fuel this will help and be a quick test. I had bad fuel in my truck once that made it run like sh**. Added the HEAT, and it immediately started running better.

Sorry we went off on a tangent on the boot. Didn't catch that your model was FI right away.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Draining the fuel tank is a good idea, but I'm not sure how hard of a task that is. As a quick test you can purchase a bottle of HEAT (I think they call it) at your local Walmart, gas station, or automotive place and pour it in. If there is water in the fuel this will help and be a quick test. I had bad fuel in my truck once that made it run like sh**. Added the HEAT, and it immediately started running better.

Sorry we went off on a tangent on the boot. Didn't catch that your model was FI right away.
Just be careful adding that stuff to a prowler, in my case anyhow with the FI it is a little fussy with running that stuff. I put some in after taking mine out of storage and it didn't run well at all. being such a small tank a whole bottle would be way too much given that todays fuel already contains alcohol, which is what heat is mostly made out of. these FI bikes really don't like any moisture in the fuel and for the time it would take a good siphon might be the way to go. Not to say that heat isn't a good product, Outwest just that the cat FI bikes don't take kindly to any variations in fuel.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts