Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the cage has started going together. I had to scrap what someone else had built on it and start over.
It has 216ft of 1.75X.095 4130 Chromemoly and some DOM. Stands 65 inches tall when at 13 inches ground clearance. Wheelbase will be stretched 3 inches rear and 1 inch front when the new A-Arms are installed (+5 each side). The fuel cell is just sitting on the old chassie bed mount right now, but will be 10 inches lower when installed. I have to finish the rear suspension shock mounts before I can cut out the rear shock towers and install the cell.
The driver's compartment is stretched a little to accomodate the lowered seating arangement. Width of the actual chassis is very close to OEM, in fact, I will be able to use the OEM Floor and dash. The frame was cut down to just the 2 main tubes and A-Arm mount tubes. Everything from there up is Chromemoly except for a few non-critical tubes. The door bars will go in once we get the chassis welded up further.
I'll keep everyone posted as it goes..

Photos just show positioning of body panels and seats...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I want to give a HUGE PROPS and THANK YOU to Johnny and Eric from UTV INC. Their help was awesome. Eric took my design and converted it to computer layout, then the UTV Inc crew cut and bent the tubes quickly and with perfect accuracy.
You guys ROCK!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that thing rocks, is that how high the hood will sit? Won't that be hard to see over?
The hood will be down just a touch, but not much. You can see quite good out the front actually.
The new air cleaner system is going to be under the hood with a functional hood scoop. The Optima battery will be under the hood also. The front floor wall panels are interchangeable with lexan panels for rock crawling and KOH so that you can look through the front floor wall and see the tires. But for desert, sheetmetal will be in place.

Std A-arms in place...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need to see if you are in front anyway.
*LOL*...true... and I plan on that. We are going to try and have the car ready for the Whiplash Snowflake race, then run the Fall AZ ShortCourse Series. Then next year will be a full BITD run.

My daughter (15years old) has already informed me she wants to take over it and race when I build my trophy truck...*LOL*..I'm already being replaced..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking Good Darryl ...
Thanks Johnny, your guys did great on the bending. I still need some large UTVINC decals to go on it. I may have my sis try to pick some up from you (she lives in Chandler) and bring to me.

You got the check right.. ?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She would have faster lap times probably just cause she is lighter of course.:D
Lighter yes, and I'll say, she has no fear whatsoever. She was driving my Duramax the other day when some punk in a ricer started giving her sh&*. She smoked him in no time and then turned to me and said, "That's how you do it Dad".....

·
Registered
421 Posts
I want one

That thing is friggn sweet,i wish i had the coin to build one just like it.the longer wheel base will be nice.i was thinking about stretching the rear of a stock xtz and having a longer drive shaft made.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That thing is friggn sweet,i wish i had the coin to build one just like it.the longer wheel base will be nice.i was thinking about stretching the rear of a stock xtz and having a longer drive shaft made.
If you really want a stretch machine, build the rear A-arms as J-Arms (that's what I did, but only had a 3 inch J) with 5 inch J bends in them, then lengthen the driveshaft, remove the parking brake completely and move the rear diff 5 inches back. I considered doing this, but not sure that all the sanctioning race bodies will allow it. So I just built 3 inch rearbend J-Arms.

As for the cost, the tubing is around $900 to $1300 dollars, depending on supplier. But if you go with DOM, the cost drops a lot. The bending and fabricating is what can cost. But I will tell you, having someone like UTVINC bend your tubes is well worth it. Every tube was perfect and went right into place. And Eric at UTVInc has the bend sheet for the main cage tubes. That radius bend he put in is awesome.

I bet even if you aren't close to Phx, AZ, Johnny and Eric could bend up the tubes and UPS or FEDX Ground Freight them to you. And Johnny can probably get the whole thing done better and cheaper than what many can.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you really want a stretch machine, build the rear a-arms as j-arms (that's what i did, but only had a 3 inch j) with 5 inch j bends in them, then lengthen the driveshaft, remove the parking brake completely and move the rear diff 5 inches back. I considered doing this, but not sure that all the sanctioning race bodies will allow it. So i just built 3 inch rearbend j-arms.

As for the cost, the tubing is around $900 to $1300 dollars, depending on supplier. But if you go with dom, the cost drops a lot. The bending and fabricating is what can cost. But i will tell you, having someone like utvinc bend your tubes is well worth it. Every tube was perfect and went right into place. And eric at utvinc has the bend sheet for the main cage tubes. That radius bend he put in is awesome.

I bet even if you aren't close to phx, az, johnny and eric could bend up the tubes and ups or fedx ground freight them to you. And johnny can probably get the whole thing done better and cheaper than what many can.
yes they appear to do dam fine work,but im in alaska and the freight you get raped practically to death on large pieces.i love the fabricating,ive built modded quads,snowmachines and race cars,played with them for awhile then sold.everyone says what the hell you thinkn,you never get your money back.i just tell em,the building is the fun part!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Darryl

That thing looks mean, tough and ready to rumble. Is there an XTZ 1000 hiding in those photos somewhere? You took a little Kitty and turned it into one mean Cat! Nice work on the cage Eric. Keep us posted on the build Darryl. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Darryl

That thing looks mean, tough and ready to rumble. Is there an XTZ 1000 hiding in those photos somewhere? You took a little Kitty and turned it into one mean Cat! Nice work on the cage Eric. Keep us posted on the build Darryl. Thanks for the photos.
Thanks, well, I figured if DFR wasn't going to build one, somebody should, to show the potential of these machines.
It has the OEM chassis backbone, engine, tranny and diffs. But it was quite easy cutting off all the crap that AC puts on them. And talk about a weight reduction, in those photos, it's under 1200lbs even with the cage. The bed was extremely heavy and it's amazing how much crap they piled onto the chassis. Finished weight will have to be at least 2100lbs with fuel, tools and both driver/navigator. The entire tubing cage weight will add 300lbs, but deduct the old cage, bed, and excess fab crap AC had on there and it'll be around 1500lbs dry.
And I do hope to get it up and run toe to toe with a certain Monster Energy Muzzy Teryx as well as the Nessy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
anything else you need dont be shy ... we would love to help maybe even show up at a race or two to pit for you ... KOH Watch Out He he comes

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Thanks, well, I figured if DFR wasn't going to build one, somebody should, to show the potential of these machines.
It has the OEM chassis backbone, engine, tranny and diffs. But it was quite easy cutting off all the crap that AC puts on them. And talk about a weight reduction, in those photos, it's under 1200lbs even with the cage. The bed was extremely heavy and it's amazing how much crap they piled onto the chassis. Finished weight will have to be at least 2100lbs with fuel, tools and both driver/navigator. The entire tubing cage weight will add 300lbs, but deduct the old cage, bed, and excess fab crap AC had on there and it'll be around 1500lbs dry.
And I do hope to get it up and run toe to toe with a certain Monster Energy Muzzy Teryx as well as the Nessy.
Darryl, I admire your passion with these. Great looking machine. I wish you good luck in your racing. Definitely keep us posted when you are coming to AZ for racing. I would like to see your machine in action.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That thing is gonna be bad ass. I would love to do that to mine. I think it would be the perfect desert machine. Keep the pictures coming please.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts