Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new to the forum and new to the prowler. I have a 2011 xtz and it has a loud rattley knock type sound. At an idle its not too bad but gets louder when i rev the engine. I have the wet clutch out of it and its a bit rusty and the drum is kinda grooved. Would that make that kind of noise? I have done some research and cant seem to find what im looking for. P.S. sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Welcome to the site! These things make all kinds of noise! Knocking sounds could be several things. Internal engine noise, clutch rollers flat spotted, and so on. How does it run? Any metal filings in the oil? Drain the oil into a clean container to check for metal fragments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Machine still works good. No metal in oil. Noise is quite loud and was not there before. Has 4000kms on it. Last time i was out, noise was getting louder and when coming to a stop clutch started jumping( almost at a stop).

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Kind of sounds like it could be the one-way bearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 way bearing is coming out either way. Im wondering about the wet clutch. With the bit of rust on it and the drum grooved, i don't know if its any good or if that would make a noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Worn clutch shoe in the clutch? Since you said it grabs when moving very slow. Just a long shot guess, anyway...
From the repair manual...

INSPECTING CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH SHOE
1. Inspect the clutch shoes for uneven wear, chips, cracks, or discoloration. If any shoe is damaged, replace the complete set.
2. Inspect the clutch shoes for wear or damage. If any shoe is worn to the bottom of the groove, replace the complete set.

·
Administrator
7,226 Posts
Wet clutch is oil bathed. The drum should be fairly smooth, grooves indicate replacement is needed. Any noise from a wet clutch is usually a squealing sound as it slips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i have determined that the wet clutch needs replacing, still not 100% on the drum. Upon closer inspection, i found most of the rollers in the primary have a very minor flat spot. Problem is im still unsure if any of that will cause that rattley knock type noise. Heat shields are good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts