Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have these motors I'm starting to rebuild & I have a question on why one has different motor mounts & whats the deal with these oil ports & in different locations, the burnt motor is marked on the bottom of the case as an 07, the one on the cherry-picker is out of an 07 & not sure on the other yet..

the markings on the bottom of the case looks like it was done by hand where as the burnt motor looks to be factory stamped!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Some of the pics came out small so it was hard to see but as for the ports around the oil filter they are for the oil cooler. I still have my old engine so I'll try to get some pics. My old engine had the oil cooler ports coming off the block with some fittings bolted in the ports but when they put the new one in they had to add the "horseshoe" under the filter to hook up the cooler.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why some of the pictures are so small but you can see in some of the pictures that one of the motors uses a bushing for the motor mounts and the other 2 don't??

& all 3 motors at the oil filter the 2 oil lines are all in different locations??

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Found a couple pics I had already of my old engine showing the oil cooler ports and one of the bottom that looks hand engraved writing.
2013-03-05 13.34.44.jpg 2013-03-05 13.35.04.jpg 2013-03-05 14.27.12.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
And in the first pic you can see the oil pump driven gear that caused all my problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And in the first pic you can see the oil pump driven gear that caused all my problems.
Yeah I see that, that's exactly what my drive gear looks like in the motor with the engraved numbers on the bottom!!??
I see that that pic was taken in 05 so I assume that's an 05 motor??

the motor that was in the fire has factory markings in the same location & has a manufacture date & some other numbers!!??

Ill check the motor that came out of my 07 tonight and see how its marked.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Check the date again it was taken 3-5-2013 my phone put the year first, it's out of an '07 650 XT. Here a couple more I just took showing the old motor and the fittings that the cooler lines connect to and one of my new one.
2013-05-10 10.24.11.jpg 2013-05-10 10.25.28.jpg 2013-05-10 10.26.52.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
In the pic of my new motor you can see the ports below the filter, what I was told is that the fittings from the old motor wouldn't fit right on the new one so they used the horseshoe, I see in one of your pics it has the horseshoe and the side ports so it could be that the prowler it came out of didn't have a cooler and it was added later.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
The ports can also be used to connect a gauge and test oil pressure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I picked up an 09 700 motor and the stator connection is different and the temp that screws into the head is diffract, so what do I need to do here??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Ok so I picked up an 09 700 motor and the stator connection is different and the temp that screws into the head is diffract, so what do I need to do here??
Thanks
Cracker you could probably swap stators,the temp sending unit that screws into the head you could probably make your own connections,it works the icon in the dash,If you had a temp gauge you wouldn't even need it,what are you putting the motor in.are you gonna leave the motor F/I

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's going in my 07 prowler that had a 650 and I picked up a 700 cheap so I thought I would drop it in, I thought!!??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So swapping out the stator should be fine even tho one is a 650 & the other is a 700?

The starter mounts up a little different as well so I just ordered a new starter.

& last the rear drive is different, the one on the 700 bolts up to what i would think to be the rear driveline and the 650 has a u joint that bolts to the motor that slides over the rear drive (spline) That seams to be a simple fix.

I hope that's all I run into, I'm ready to ride...

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
So swapping out the stator should be fine even tho one is a 650 & the other is a 700?

The starter mounts up a little different as well so I just ordered a new starter.

& last the rear drive is different, the one on the 700 bolts up to what i would think to be the rear driveline and the 650 has a u joint that bolts to the motor that slides over the rear drive (spline) That seams to be a simple fix.

I hope that's all I run into, I'm ready to ride...
I think you will also have to change the input shaft coming off your rear diff,and you will have to use a rear brake rotor for a 2007 to a 2012. unless the splines slide into your rear shaft thats on the 650 rear diff.The starters do show a different part number,I think the only difference in the stators is the connection,I believe both stators put out 325 watts.you could probably just use the stator from your 650.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I swap the stator, change the drive shaft, taped the temp sending unit & bought a new starter that bolted up different, so I drop it in and hook everything up, turn the key and ..................CLICK..... Damn.:mad:
So I pull the starter and I think it's reversed?? Is that possible??
It turns over fine but it looks to be going counter clock wise, and the old starter the same way!!
Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Ok, so I swap the stator, change the drive shaft, taped the temp sending unit & bought a new starter that bolted up different, so I drop it in and hook everything up, turn the key and ..................CLICK..... Damn.:mad:
So I pull the starter and I think it's reversed?? Is that possible??
It turns over fine but it looks to be going counter clock wise, and the old starter the same way!!
Any suggestions??
Did you buy the starter new.send fairmont79 a P/M he's pretty good with electrical.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
The starter goes' clockwise, only one electrical connection so I don't think it is electrical in nature. Did you say the old starter was turning the same?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I pull it back out to see why it wouldn't turn over and if I had done something wrong with the stator install, I pull off the side cover & clutch cover & inspect everything, & it all looks to be fine, you can turn the motor over by hand with the spark plug out & it all seamed fine so I install the starter and jump it to a battery & it turns over plus the starter is turning clockwise!
But it seems to be making a lot of gear nose but I'm just thinking its just that all the gears are exposed, so I put it all back together install the motor again hook it all up & go to start it and it really struggles & a high pitch gear noise that I was hearing with the side cases off, the old starter & the new starter just doesn't want to turn over the motor,

Could the stator be causing some kind of resistance???

1 - 20 of 49 Posts