Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, just found out how to enter the forum ! I`m just new at this so please be patient.

I have a 2008 650 Prowler a year old now, and just lately have experienced a rattling sound when applying the brakes. Not sure what the case is but it seems that the rear brake is initiating the noise to the transmition.
What can be done :confused:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think somebody on here has stated that this is caused by a warped brake disc on the rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know what noise your are talking about. I was told that it was the brake rotor also. I changed the brake rotor and the brake pads. no change in the noise. I spun the drive shaft back and forth by hand and can hear the noise from the shaft. I don't know yet what the cause is???? trying to figure that out....

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've also heard it could be the belt slapping around when hard on the brakes. Your new rotor may not be true either. You may have to have it turned on a lathe to be certain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did check the rotor (put on a solid level surface) and it was flat. I checked the wear pattern and it looks even. funny thing is I tried replicating the noise in reverse and it does not happen.?????

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is a normal thing. If you break hard and have the tires starting to lock up then you will hear this noise. All our quads do it and so does my prowler. If its under normal breaking then I can help you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
most of that noise is coming from the bevel(transfer)gears due to the clearance between the gears causing a chatter noise.diassembling the entire eng and shimming these gears tighter will greatly lessen the noise.it will not remove it completely because of all the other transmission gears involved and their clearances.if you ever have these bevel gears fail,and they occasionally do,have them shimmed to the tight end of the range.they always seem to be on the loose end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rattlin Cat

I may seem to come from the engine but i`m not sure since the brake shoes are making the same noise when thinkered with. Now to say the thruth the sound only appears when I slighly apply the brakes forward or reverse. sound will stop when hit hard or appling the gas and brake toghether. Wonder :confused:
most of that noise is coming from the bevel(transfer)gears due to the clearance between the gears causing a chatter noise.diassembling the entire eng and shimming these gears tighter will greatly lessen the noise.it will not remove it completely because of all the other transmission gears involved and their clearances.if you ever have these bevel gears fail,and they occasionally do,have them shimmed to the tight end of the range.they always seem to be on the loose end.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i may seem to come from the engine but i`m not sure since the brake shoes are making the same noise when thinkered with. Now to say the thruth the sound only appears when i slighly apply the brakes forward or reverse. Sound will stop when hit hard or appling the gas and brake toghether. Wonder :confused:
the noise stops if you hit the brakes while appling throttle because you are loading the gears with eng power,the gears only make noise when they are unloaded thus allowing them the freedom to rattle against each other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rattle is there regardless if I am going fast or slow. It is worse when going fast and braking then when at slower speeds. I think I will bring it in to the dealer to have the gears checked. I do have extended warranty but don't know if it will cover that??? I know it will probably not hurt anything to drive it that way, but it is annoying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to agree, it may be the bevel gear and this isn`t good news since I`ll have to take the whole engine apart.
Do you have the replacement part number for the bevel gear and is there an upgrade for a 2008 A-C 650 H1 Prowler.
Local dealer has closed and looks like I`ll have to do the job myself with all the help I can have ( manual...):(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to agree, it may be the bevel gear and this isn`t good news since I`ll have to take the whole engine apart.
Do you have the replacement part number for the bevel gear and is there an upgrade for a 2008 A-C 650 H1 Prowler.
Local dealer has closed and looks like I`ll have to do the job myself with all the help I can have ( manual...):(

·
Registered
421 Posts
i have to agree, it may be the bevel gear and this isn`t good news since i`ll have to take the whole engine apart.
Do you have the replacement part number for the bevel gear and is there an upgrade for a 2008 a-c 650 h1 prowler.
Local dealer has closed and looks like i`ll have to do the job myself with all the help i can have ( manual...):(
i do not have any part numbers,but ive been told that the replacement gears in all the older units(pre 09) are supersieded to the new style straight cut gears that are stronger.tho i do not know that to be fact. If you dont have a local dealer you can look up/order parts from (rvsports.com).you will also have to order all the shims for both gears so you can set them up properly,along with all the gaskets.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
i do not have any part numbers,but ive been told that the replacement gears in all the older units(pre 09) are supersieded to the new style straight cut gears that are stronger.tho i do not know that to be fact. If you dont have a local dealer you can look up/order parts from (rvsports.com).you will also have to order all the shims for both gears so you can set them up properly,along with all the gaskets.

I had Chris from EAAC look into this for my XTZ 1000 a while back and if I remember from our conversation he said the same thing that the Thunder cat's had the beveled gear but the 2009 and up had the straight cut.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a quick way to partially disasembling the engine and is there a replacement part number or a solution to the bevel gear since we don`t want to open the engine to often

·
Registered
421 Posts
is there a quick way to partially disasembling the engine and is there a replacement part number or a solution to the bevel gear since we don`t want to open the engine to often
no there isnt a quik way,it has to come all the way apart.
If you put together with the newest parts and shim to the tight end of clearance spec it should be good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts